Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reversing a tantrum spiral and awful FPS rate  (Read 886 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reversing a tantrum spiral and awful FPS rate
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:23:25 pm »

For a variety of reasons, my dwarves are descending into madness, and my FPS rate is 1/10th of what it normally is. It's making my sweet fortress really hard to play.

Also, two questions:
What is a good use for Giant Desert Scorpion venom?
What is the function of a window? I have an artifact window made of dematoid and I want to know what to do with it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
Re: Reversing a tantrum spiral and awful FPS rate
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 05:47:15 pm »

poison or venom have no uses besides trading on the current version.
windows do no let light enter from the outside,but dwarfs will get scareds from an enemy in the other side,they work like an wall,it can hold water and magma like a wall
i not sure about magma but certainly it can hold water

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:53:21 pm »

For a variety of reasons, my dwarves are descending into madness, and my FPS rate is 1/10th of what it normally is. It's making my sweet fortress really hard to play.
This isn't a question, and would probably fit better in DF Mode or DF Questions if it were, but regardless:

Madness:
Madness can be hard to counteract, but the usuals of giving them nice bedrooms, a nice dining room to eat in, etc. always help, especially if things were sort of dreary or haphazard before.

As a more severe, probably harder to enact solution, you can try locking grumpy dwarves in isolation so that they can recover without assaulting others, thereby stopping the spiral. Obviously, this works a lot better when it's just a handful who are upset than when your entire fort is angry at each other, but even then fewer dwarves to go berserk on each other is probably a good thing. Remember that tantruming improves their mood, so every tantrum without further injury is progress.

FPS:
Many, many things affect FPS, but stray items are one of the most serious. If you've got a lot of stray items- raw stone, clothing from the deceased, etc.- consider trying to clean them up. An atom smasher bridge or magma can dispose of most items, and/or you could give your dwarves cabinets to store their spare clothing in.

What is the function of a window? I have an artifact window made of dematoid and I want to know what to do with it.
It's probably extremely valuable, and can thus improve the value of a room. That's mostly it, though I believe there's a handful of very specialized, mostly deranged uses for its see-through-but-solid nature.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »

windows are Constructions and so fire proof.
Giant Desert Scorpion venom is INJECTED so it is no good,
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

Also, two questions:
What is a good use for Giant Desert Scorpion venom?

Windows look pretty. Artifact windows look prettiest.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:44:27 pm »

Incorrect, windows are furniture. So you will have to look at the Dematoid raws to see if it is magma proof, otherwise it will burn forever.

----

Strange, I thought the tantrum spiral would take care of the FPS problem.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:11:38 am »

Incorrect, windows are furniture. So you will have to look at the Dematoid raws to see if it is magma proof, otherwise it will burn forever.

----

Strange, I thought the tantrum spiral would take care of the FPS problem.

Not really until it's over. In the time between peace and strange, eerie, abandoned peace, there's quite a lot of strain on the computer due to team killing, tantrums, ghosts, the miasma of rotting corpses, all that stuff.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:09:53 am »

Windows are good for creating a physical barrier (preventing injury) but allowing sight (allowing fear/fleeing) of creatures on the other side.  As a result, they are a useful component in some dwarven computers, and controlled evacuation devices. 
where is up?