Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wallslaughter's diary entries  (Read 3932 times)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wallslaughter's diary entries
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:39:04 am »

The people of the wallslaughter succession game can use this for their entries and such
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Wallslaughter's diary entries
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »

INTRO
(credit to diamondwolf for most of it)

Born to an elven family of traveling merchants, Meng Vunommosus was a perfectly healthy young child. But he was not fortunate, for as he was being born a tree was struck by lightning close to the merchant camp. Taking it as an omen sent by the gods, they discarded the child to the darkness of a nearby cave to die and preserve nature’s peace. If only they had known which gods the message was from they may have never made such a grievous mistake.

For many days the newborn lay in total darkness as thirst crept upon its tiny body. As death neared its still form, a strange occurrence took place.  A creature of such power and fear that it had become a mere legend whispered across a campfire happened upon the child. This creature was Xun, the embodiment of deformity. At one time it was worshipped as a god. But such times had crumble into dust, while its immortal form lived on. There came a time when its last follower died, leaving it isolated and alone. A curious and intelligent creature, it set out to discover others like it, beings that it has never before seen. It has been time immortal since, but Xun has failed to find another of its kind. It has given up hope, and sought death. It has failed. Yet, in this small being it sees a possibility. A glimmer of a hope that it can once again reign as a god.

Regarding the weak infant with its three great orbs that most would call eyes, it makes a decision. It reaches out and wraps the infant in silk, as if it were a blanket. It then carries the baby away, deeper into the darkness. It feeds the child, and protects it from the terrors of the deep. It becomes the baby’s caretaker and friend, and in turn the child grows stronger. Yet, there is a price of Xun’s gift, deformation. The baby’s skin turns grey, his eyes red, and his hair white. Even his mind is not left unaffected. His thoughts become violent, and his desire for power grows.

He knows that Xun requires more followers, and he obliges. He captures elven travelers as they pass the many entrances to his domain. Once captured he uses the taint of his very blood to corrupt the elves. They begin to resemble him in appearance. Their minds bend to his will, and that of his caretaker. In time he assembles an army. An army that becomes feared and respected by all who feel its presence. At first there mere rumors of an army of mutant elves attacking small settlements for supplies. But in time the rumors became no more and were replaced by reports of a massive movement of troops. These elves were given the title of Drow, for their dark appearance.

Then came the everlasting war, as the drow marched across the world pillaging and destroying anything that got in their way. Many dark creatures joined their charge and soon the force became large enough that Meng (now none as Meng the Venomous by elves and men alike) set his sights on larger goals. At first he attempted to ally with the elves, the current occupiers of the dwarven civilization, a position they reached by trickery and deceit. He had no love for his former people, but he desired more troops. When they refused he revoked their right to live. Yet, in his diplomacy he found worthy allies. The enslaved dwarves. Their love of the underground and might in battle pleased him. So he formed an alliance, guarantying the dwarves freedom if he took over their kingdom from the weak elves. Distrustful of him, but without access to any other alternative the dwarves agreed.

The war that followed was grand, perhaps even mythical. The elven blood ran deep enough to drown in. Meng proved his ferocity in battle, wielding a battle axe and a shortsword in a flurry of steel and blood. Their were a great many casualties. But in the end Meng achieved his victory by destroying the previous “king” and instating himself. In a show of good faith, he allowed the dwarves to pick seven of their worthiest for a mission to create a new home for the dwarves, one free of the torments of their previous mountain. Though the dwarves do not trust him they allowed for this to be carried out…

As the group of seven turned to leave the throne room the king said: "I wish this to be a mountainhome unlike any other, your party, the Theater of Tenacity, shall see to it that there are sufficient Overground defenses to protect it from the vile goblins and pale skinned elves of the Fortunate Snarls. Your new Homeland shall be situated within our realm to give you a small chance at survival. you may take any provisions you can fit on your cart"

"As you wish your majesty, but what shall we call such a place?"

"WALLSLAUGHTERS! NOW STRIKE THE EARTH!"

the seven dwarfs made their way through the ravaged mountainhome, gathering what supplies they could find. they then left, with optimism filling their hearts to the little X on the map dubbed Wallslaughters.

when they were out of earshot of the last Elven soldier, Durkon, the Expedition Leader spoke up: "the foolish dark elves think they can quench our thirst for vengeance that easily!? i say nay! we shall destroy their precious realm from within! and when the king*spits on the ground* comes we shall have his head!"

there was a rousing cheer of "Blood for the Blood god!" and they proceeded on their long journey.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:08:47 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:43 pm »

Journal of Durkon, Expedition Leader/Broker

1st Granite

we've arrived at the site that the king marked and have stopped our wagon on a large hill. from what i can tell it's comprised completely of fire clay and sand! it'll be easy diggn' for now.

My companions:

Tholtig Asobbisol - Carpenter

Sakzul Bimfikod - Mason/Mechanic

Zulban Asmelolon - Mealsmith/Miner

Tobul Athelkol - Craftsdwarf

Gesud Eribstinthad - Farmer

Imush Fokerusrir - Brewer/Seige Engineer/Swordsdwarf

there's several frozen ponds around us, i've told the others to stay off the ice, lest it melt while they are standing upon it. oddly enough, the pond merely 8 Urists north of our wagon if fully thawed. but enough wirting for now! there's diggn' to do!

9th Granite

Huzzah! while digging out our main staircase we struck a vein of limonite and magnetite! we have iron! now if only we could find some flux....

20th Granite

we've finished excavation of the temporary storage site, which will be our future barracks and have begun transporting our supplies indoors. away from this blasted rain!

3rd slate

we were about to cut open the Pond to irrigate our future farm when Gesud informed me that the farmers guild had rediscoverd how to farm on dry sand and clay! Huzzah! i had him construct 6 plots immediately.

20th Slate

all our supplies are inside and Zulban and myself have been mining out the premanent strorage space, I've had two ropes installed in the entrance hallway and a war dog chained to each. they should be able to keep out any minor threats. I've also had the Mason construct some lovely rocksalt doors and a trade Depot.

all this digging is making me tired, i think i'll rest my head on this soft patch of clay...

28th Slate

while gathering a log our farmer spotted a group of badgers! These foul beasts must not be allowed to survive!

we've also managed to set up a carpenters shop and a craftdwarfs shop, who have promptly begun churning out bins and rock crafts.

1st Felsite

Our Swordsdwarf was dispatched to deal with the badger infestation
Meanwhile i've begun digging out the workshop area.

3rd Felsite

The screams of dying badgers echoed through the hills.

22nd Felsite

Sakzul, has built an elegant drawbridge at the entrance. he says that once he links it to a lever it'll provide ample protection from anything that comes our way. He also insisted on constructing a proper gatehouse, complete with marksdwarves posts, I've inserted his plans for the gatehouse below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9th Hematite

Giant badgers have been spotted! our swordsdwarf has been dispatched to deal with them. it seems he was so confident in his skills he left his copper sword in the stockpile.

11th Hematite

NOOO! Imush has been bled to death after having his face mauled and having his Left arm and Left foot ripped off! i've decided that Zulban and myself will help Sakzul complete his gatehouse. we can't risk these monsters getting into the fortress.

the others have decided to call one of of these fiends Ziksiskodor, Splitdawns. I think it's rather appropriate.

24th Hematite

A group of badger men have been sighted near Imush's corpse, taunting us with their barks and growls. I've commissioned the construction of a coffin.

28th Hematite

the group of badger people have wandered away from Imush's body, so i figured it would be a good time to collect his corpse, and more importantly, his SOCKS!

29th Hematite

Take that you Badger Woman Scum! Nobody messes with Durkon and gets away with it! as i drove my pick through her body i felt a great surge of strength. i tore many new holes in her torso before i put my pick through her brain. it almost makes up for Imush's death, almost...

1st Malachite

with no formal tombs dug out I've had the coffin placed next to the trade depot, so all who enter may pay their respects to him.

13th Malachite

once again the sounds of battle ring out over the hillside, a badger man has attacked our carpenter she managed to give the badger man some pretty serious wounds before it punched her in the gut and retreated.

20th Malachite

Migrants have arrived from the mountainhomes! let's see what the king has sent us. a Gem Cutter and a Fish Cleaner.... well... i'm a little underwhelmed. The Gem Cutter seems to have been a Macedwarf before taking up her trade, she shal be the new Militia Commander. i just hope she doesn't ask what happened to the old one.

The Fish cleaner on the other hand... well we don't have any fishing industry so i've ordered her to take up masonry.

25th Malachite

Seeing as the Gatehouse shell in nearly complete Sakul and his new apprentice decided to engrave a small portion of the workshop area.

we've also begun moving our supplies to the main storage area

6th Galena

I've inspected the engraving area, it seems that our group's Symbol is bins. i don't remember the king saying anything about a symbol back in the mountainhomes... I'll have to talk to the engravers about that. and to my surprise the Symbol of our not-so-glorious Mountainhome is a quiver!

how i lived through 52 years without knowing my own mountainhome's symbol is a mystery to me.

14th Galena

with the barracks site mostly clear, we've erected an armorstand and weapon rack and officially designated it as a training area. Our new militia commander was quite pleased to say the least.

16th Galena

Zulban and I have started digging out the bedroom/dining level. soon we won't have to sleep in the dirt and eat standing up!

1st Limestone

With the month of Limestone comes Autumn, our brothers from the mountainhomes will be here to trade soon.

10th Limestone

the excavation of the bedrooms is going slowly, not because of the rock, for half of the area lays in a clay pocket, but because of my incessant need to store things in their respective stockpiles. i must try to control myself.

also, the badger men have been replaced by capybara men. i hope they are a little more friendly.

28th Limestone

The dining hall has been dug out and tables and chairs have been placed, we've moved our refuse pile inside and are working on furnishing the bedrooms. The masons also told me that they finished linking the two bridges to levers just north of the dining hall. I've made a point of carefully labeling them.

1st Sandstone

Huzzah! more migrants! An Armorer, A Peasant, A Tanner,  A Weaponsmith, A Wax worker, A Soapmaker, A Potash Maker and several pets.

I've promoted the Peasant to the position bookkeeper/manager, and told the wax worker to learn some stonecrafting. the peasant was ecstatic about his job assignment, the wax worker, not so much.

12th Sandstone

I've given myself and the newly appointed Manager each one of the more luxurious suites complete with a private bedroom, dining area and office! i mean i am running the place, why not get a little something to show for it?

27th Sandstone

the few stray animals we had were butchered today to supplement our food stocks. I'm getting tired of eating raw plump helmet and turtle.

The Badgers Have returned! our new Militia commander should have no problems against regular badgers...i hope.

3rd Timber

The militia commander came to me complaining that the badgers had left our territory before she could get to them. i told her to not worry about it. there's plenty more where they came from.

7th Timber

We've completed the kitchens and placed a kitten cage in between the two butcher shops, I've seen many a settlement flooded with kittens, this will not be one of them

12th Timber

A caravan from the mountainhome has arrived! I'm heading to the Depot as i write!

but first let me get a pint of dwarven ale in me..

ahhh... that stuff hit the spot, I'm so relaxed now i think I'll take a break.

13th Timber

Stupid liaison, interrupting my break. i asked for booze, trap components, turtles (the others seems to enjoy them) an assortment of metal bars and a few other things that may be useful.

in return he gave me a little list of what the mouintainhomes wanted for next year

he then proceeded to tell me that he had a royal order from the king.

"The king of Copperbalance knows that running a fortress is very demanding. as such he has ordered you to give up you position of overseer and pick a successor when spring arrives. they shall then run the fortress for a year and the process will repeat"

when i heard that there was nothing more that I wanted to do than put my pick through this miserable Liason's skull. but i merely grumbled and replied "as the royal majesty wishes, it shall be done"

good riddance, now I'm going back on my break.

25th Timber

all this sitting around is really making my tired, i think I'll have a nap

27th Timber

ahh just what i needed, now I'm all refreshed i think I'll see those merchants now.

i ended up buying their entire stock of alcohol, some cloth, a few assorted bits of armor and a mace for our Militia Commander some cave lobsters and a few packs of cheese.

i also decided to disarm the merchant guards before the left, the biggest threat they'll be facing is a couple of turkeys, and I'd like to see that rude Liason out of the picture anyways.

1st Moonstone

winter has come, my time as overseer will be up shortly, i've decided that the first dwarf i see come spring shall be

the next overseer.

7th Moonstone

I've decided to extend out staircase further down and start some exploratory mining.

8th Moonstone

the merchants have informed us that they'll be leaving soon, as if i care, they've got nothing more that we want.

9th Moonstone

Praise be to Armok! we've struck Marble! Steel shall be forged at Wallslaughters! I'm mining out a sizable area now.

20th Moonstone

My earlier suspicions of the brook not freezing were proven false today as one of the woodcutters came to me and told me that all the water in our region had frozen.

6th Opal

one of the woodcutters came running to me with a look of utter terror on his face. "Sir, Unicorns have been spotted on the hill"

by the gods, this can only mean that the elves are near... "keep a good distance from them, and whatever you do DON'T HIT THEM WITH YOUR AXE!"

15th Opal

our farmer noticed that there is a colony of honeybees not far from the entrance and has requested several beehives to

be placed in the gatehouse.

24th Opal

The hive have been place and filled with honeybees, soon we shall have sweet, sweet, mead.

1st Obsidian

this is my last month as overseer, the fledgeling fortress is doing well, and i feel committed to drawing a map of the fort as it stands, from top to bottom.

20th Obsidian

the gatehouse structure is complete and fortifications are now being carved in the walls for future marksdwarves.

28th Obsidian

all the dwarves gathered in the dining hall this evening to celebrate the new year, the ballad !!Elves!! for Armok was sung at midnight.

1st Granite

well spring has arrived, and as the king has ordered, i am stepping down from the position of overseer. i see there's a fine chap at the table next to me enjoying his New Years booze, looks like i found my replacement.

I had the bookkeeper post a list of our fortress's current wealth

Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

mideg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:14 am »

Diary of 'mideg' Athelkol

1st of Granite 127
I was eating today in the great hall, the one with the statues. It's not that great, but you know which one, yes? Well, the boss was there, he ate just

sitting on the other side of the hall. He came to me, pushed his jug against mine (why do they do that all the time) and said something about "Happy New

Year!" and "You're the boss now."

Except he used the word overseer. Armok be damned.

2nd of Granite 127
When I woke up and strolled through the fort, everyone seemed to look at me in a weird way. Not used to it. Oh well.

When I came to the farms - yeah, I wanted to be alone and there's usually only one guy up there - I noticed that there was only one field being used. I asked

the farmer guy, don't remember his name, Geshud something, he told me it was all according to the old overseers plan. I looked through the plan. Didn't

understand it. So I just thought about a new one. One crop per field, leave it blank only if it can't grow in the season. Easy plan. And more crops, I hope.

When I told Geshud, he said something about "Jessir" or something, I didn't get it, and startet planting things. According to my plan. Ups...

6th of Granite 127
Almost been a week. I don't get used to the staring. And the questions. Cog, the girl with the mace, calls himself militia commander while she is the only

one with a weapon 'cept for the miners and woodcutters, well she came up to me and asked about some rough gems in some bins in some stockpile at the

stockpile area. I told her to just cut them all. We might as well encrust some things with them later. Looks beautiful, gems everywhere...

Oh, and while talking to her I noticed the peace and quiet everywhere. We had a bunch of workshops, but no one ever uses one of them, so I ordered (this

sounds soooooo nice) some Magnetite to be smelted and charcoal to be made.

9th of Granite 127
I just noticed some new kittens. Oooooh, they are sooooo sweeeet. I just luuuuuve kittens.

Butcher them! Except for some, so we still have new ones every now and then.

Yummy, kittens.

11th of Granite 127
Some Farmer just ran past me with a mug shouting "Alarm, alarm", but it were just some monkeys or something. I told the militia commander to gather his

militia (harr harr) and kill them off so they don't disturb the poor farmer anymore.

22nd of Granite 127
All but one of the Macaques is dead. Cog ran after the last one until she was too tired and decided to go to sleep. I'll just let the last of those beasts

live. Whatever.

Oh, by the way, one of the macaques was killed by the miner. No idea what he did out there, probably gather some wood.

25th of Granite 127
Almost a month now. I saw the plans for the fortifications made by the previous overseer. Then I realized that the barracks had no archery. What good are

fortifications and embrasures if we don't have trained marksdwarves? So I ordered an archery to be dugged out.

1st of Slate 127
It's been a month now. I ordered - am getting used to this - five sets of iron armor to be made. The pun about the militia commander commanding her glorious

militia shall not be heard for long.

12th of Slate 127
Migrants. 19 of them. What shall I do, what shall I do?!?

After thinking about it, I ordered everyone of them to do what they can best. Apparently, we have a hunter and some fisherdwarves there. That should give us

some variety on the table.

I will begin furnituring new bedrooms.

4th Felsite 127
Since the log stockpile kinda looks empty, I ordered more exploritory mining a couple days ago. Unfortunatly, instead of burnable stone, the miners just

found a cave. Well, as every dwarf learns in elementary school, the seeds and spores of underground plants are everywhere once a fortress breaks through some

underground cavern. So I ordered floor hatches to be made to seal of the cavern and I order several great halls to be dug at farm level. They shall serve as

pasture for the grazing animals and as tree farm, as we all know to well that the outside is dangerous. I mean, there's nothing protecting us from the sky

outside.

14th of Felsite 127
Elves. They dare sending a caravan here. I don't understand everything about it, but if I remember the speech of the first overseer correctly, we are some

kind of rebellion against our elven king, or queen, or something, right? I have to think about these treehuggers before deciding what to do...

On other business, I have finally assigned a small bedroom to everydwarf. I also decided to open up a public dormitory. It's right next to the refuse pile.

(Yeah, I know, but better then no bed, huh? At least it's close to the eating hall.) I know the tales of giant immigrant waves that can't properly settle in

due to lack of room, beds or workforce, so I gave future migrants at least someplace to stay until miners, carpenters and furniture haulers have done their

jobs.

19th of Felsite 127
Once the elven merchants had unloaded everything, I asked Durkon to deal with them. He just went to the depot and told the pointy-eared forest-dweller that

all their goods are belong to us. That was easy.

The merchants announced their leave shortly hereafter. Hah!

1st Hematite of 127
It is summer now. Wow. I just looked over the things the elves left us, there are several seeds that only grow aboveground. I shall make it my project for

the summer to construct save aboveground farm plots. Summer whine, Hmmmm.

4th Hematite 127
I just ordered the expansion of our military. It just seemed right, with more than double as many dwarves as before, that the military also is more then

doubled, so I told two new guys to get into some of the new iron armor and grab some battle axes. Which still need to be forged, but at least I am starting

things.

2nd Malachite 127
Eight new dwarves have arrived. I've recruited one of them as a hammerdwarf for the military using the bought steel hammer. The rest is just a useless bunch

of lazy diggers.

7th Malachite 127
Ilral, a simple peasant without any further orders, became posessed today. I didn't really feel bad about it, but I sure hope we can get here whatever she

needs. She later ran into her own workshop, closed the door and asked us to leave her alone.

A couple days later she began with two Carmelions, though she is not letting anyone have a look.

13th Malachite 127
So, she is done now. Well, impressive. I mean, it's a really perfect Carmelion. With bands of Carmelion. And spikes of Carmelion. Menacing, of course. Hm.

So. Ahem. Let's go on.

19th Malachite 127
I've ordered the animals (except cats'n'dogs) to the new underground pastures and tree farm area. Two or three animals per room. That should give them enough

grazing space and freedom to move around and such.

17th Galena 127
Long time no write, diary. Nothing much happened. The construction of the outdoor farm security wall is progressing slowly. I will draw it in here once it's

done. Oh, one thing happened: The humans arrived today. I kinda think they are like the elves, same height and stuff, but I'm gonna talk to them before

taking their stuff, at least.

21st Galena 127
The humast had quite some interesting items. I bought some bars and almost all of their metal weapons, instruments, cages and armor, 'cept for some expensive

stuff. I paid with all the rock stuff that Dumed and Sakzul keep pumping out of the Craftdwarves Workshop, and some stuff from the last dwarven caravan that

I didn't think we needed.
It's good that humans are so silly, trading quite some metal items that can be perfectly melted and used for stone crowns, rings, amulets and statuettes.

Pfft.
Oh, and I also got all of the human food. Actually quite a lot. And diversity, too. I ordered about a hundred lavish meals prepared for the celebration. I

think I will make a new food stockpile right next to the dining hall where only prepared meals are to be stored.

27th Galena 127
Hah, that'll teach the pointy-eared scumm: I just saw some dwarf carry this into the refuse:
While looking outdoor where the unicorn came from, I found this:
One of those three beasts is lying around and unconscious, one is lightly hurt, the third one has its head! Cut! Open! Remind me to congratulate our hunter

later today, diary.

Addendum: After putting the first slain unicorn to the refuse, our hunter returned outside and got the second, unconscious one, too. The other two fled.

We'll get you one time, pointy-horn-horses!

16th Limestone 127
Finally!

3rd Sandstone 127
Six immigrants were just spotted at the horizon. I have not even made living quarters for the last group. This job is very stressing.
One of them seemed to be a decent macedwarf, so I drafted him immediatly.
As I went through the stocks I saw that we had only four drinks left. I paled and saw the doom of the fortress rising. Some dwarves had started drinking from

the pools at the main entrance already. As the order to brew drinks is still standing, I can only assume that barrels are missing, so I ordered new barrels

to be made.

14th Sandstone 127
Armok be with us. We are out of alcohol....

1st Timber 127
My head hurts. I had no drink since... I can't remember. I cannot function like this. Anyways, the miners dug out the new bedrooms.
We don't have enough beds, yet. I ordered some. Must continue. Barrels are a priority.

4th Timber 127
Still no alcohol. We are drinking water. WATER! oO
Either my nose stopped working during my last lunch or there is something rotting in the refuse pile. WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE AN INDOOR REFUSE PILE?!? We need to

move it outdoors!

When I asked around who was supposed to do the drinking, the dwarves told me that I had given the job to Kulet. Who was also a farmer, tanner, dyer, soap

maker, lye maker and doing like half the hauling work of the whole fortress. No wonder we don't have anything to drink. The one dwarf that is supposed to

make it is doing a thousand lesser tasks instead.

I immediatly ordered some nobody to do brewing! Only! Full time! No breaks!

13th Timber 127
Finally. Some dwarves from the mountainhomes have arrived. I just hope they got drinks....the new brewer just has no idea what he is doing. I mean, it is

alcohol after all, but, you know.

23rd Timber 127
While I was still talking with the liaison dwarf, or, well, I mean, I let Durkon do the talking mainly, some kitten meowed outside the fortress. It was clear

to everyone what this meant: AMBUSH!
Well, what for did I give my militia commander a militia to command? I ordered her to go out there and kill all and any goblin she finds! Cog immediatly

gathered her dwarves and confronted the green gobbos and just after the fighting started, this happened:
Kadol chips away an arm of one of the enemies who promptly retreats. Soon his companions run for their lives, leaving a trail of blood for our brave soldiers

to follow.
When the dwarves who were not fighting looked at me with greed in their eyes, I just nodded.

10th Moonstone 127
After my, you know, the usual 'my', so Durkon's, audience with the liaison guy was over, he had handed me alist with things the mountainhome would like to import. Whatever, they'll get the same stuff as everyone else gets from me: stoney crafts.

4th Obsidian 127
I just tumbled over a coffin. When I asked a furniture hauler to put it into the stockpile all right, he just looked at me and said: "But that's the final resting place of Imush, our heroic Swordsdwarf." Now I remember some of the commotion last year, but I am, err, was at the time only a lowly craftsdwarf, so I didn't pay much attention to it.
I've ordered a tomb to be digged out. It shall be smoothed and engraved and donned with statues for the hero Imush Fokerushrir, Swordsdwarf of Wallslaughter's, who died defending the fortress against evil .... wait, I gotta ask, what did he die against?
Apparently he bled to death due to some badgerman's tender touch. Well. That's .... heroic. It is. IT IS! So he will get a proper tomb.

9th Obsidian 127
Just when three quarters of the fortress were down in the new tomb to haul all those stones away, Tun Likottel got posessed. I bet its Imush's spirit, rewarding the fortress for building him a proper resting place. I feel proud.
He claimed a craftsdwarves workshop and gathered some rock salt. I waited outside to look what else he would go and get, but apparently it's all there is. Oh well, he'll make something spectacular. I can't wait! Hee hee.

14th Obsidian 127
Tun walked out of the workshop just a couple moments ago. He immediatly showed it to me, while talking excitedly. Apparently, he made a rock salt crown. That's, ahem, impressive, I told him, trying hard not to think about our goods stockpile where there are like a dozen rock salt crowns. Oh well. On the downside (I know the upside is kinda missing, except Tun's still mind-healthy. As mind-healthy as any dwarf out here, anyway) Tun doesn't know how he did it. He still kinda doesn't know a thing about stonecrafting.
I hope the tomb will be ready before the spring. It must be. I ordered everyone which a little bit of skill in it to help with the detailing of the walls and to stop hauling stuff around. IT MUST FINISH!

17th Obsidian 127
Inspired by Tun's work, I crafted some truly marvelous things:

18th Obsidian 127
An Ambush! Curse them! A swordsgoblin and several lasher. I dispatch the military, who were not on duty, so they might take a while to get there. (They are off duty every third month.) Fortunatly, the goblins decided to attack a tame reindeer. Oh well.

DAMNATION! A second goblin squad hid beneath our own bridge. Hammer- and swordgoblins. I ordered the military to defend the bridge first. No one can expect such trickery of something with so little brains.

The swordsman at the bridge duelled with Tholtig and his axe. Tholtig won, the swordsgoblin is fleeing and obviously in pain. Tholtig catches up to him, he cuts him down. Oh, watch out! Two other goblins have come up behind Tholtig, he doesn't see them, they are going to cut his legs down.
Oh, I am so thankful for those iron armor.

Tholtig doesn't look to happy, he retaliates against the hammergoblins foot - and severes it. It's not enough. He start's chopping the goblin's extremities away one after the other. He actually cut off his right leg at the knee and then cut off the rest with the next blow!?!

Now he turns toward the other goblin, one with a sword. They exchange some blows, then he cuts his leg off. Oh, watch out, there is another one! Ah, phew, it's Alath, a macedwarf. (Hm, where's her mace?) The goblin squad is decimated to two uninjured swordgoblins now, but they turn around and flee. In the distance I can see the other goblin group attacking the reindeer they finally cought up with. It's a short fight and the bull is cut down within seconds.

All four military dwarves are now in close pursuit of the two swordsgoblins, but they can reach the safety of the border. (Why all dwarves except traders and immigrants respect the border, I do not know.)

Now the fighting starts again: 4 dwarves armed with 2 iron axes and a mace ... wait, Alath is unarmed? At least they are relativly safe in their metal armor ... what do you mean, Alath forgot her helmet and her shield?!? WHY? Why did he go out there unarmed and only partially armored?!? Oh, I hope I don't have to dig out another tomb.

When the two groups meet, Cog immediatly dispatches the goblin swordsman, knocking him unconscious with a mighty bash on the head with his mace. Tholtig and one of the lashers collide with one another and both fall over, rolling all around. Alath doesn't look to good. She is in pain, now there are two of them fighting with her, one is wielding a silver whip, Alath's hit, again, there's blood everywhere and what's that, her head has been hit, she falls down, she doesn't move anymore. Noooooooooo!

One of the golbins is fleeing, limping away after receiving a wound in the leg.

Kadol duels with one of them now, she has hit him in the mouth with his axe, I saw something small sail away in an arc, now the lasher jumps into her, they bite and kick, ouch, the goblin just kicked her into her cheek from behind(!). Cog has just struck a goblin with her mace and it's stuck! She can't get it out. I guess with a mace stuck in the head, the fight is over for that goblin.

Only one goblin left now, who is limping towards the border and he gets away. We won. But we lost a good - if somewhat forgetful - dwarf today. The tomb has to be made for two dwarves now.

What do you mean, three? Someone handed me this list:

When did that happen? I went through all logs that I got, but I couldn't find a report about someone dying?!? After sending out search troops, questioning a lot of dwarves and searching through all logs of this year and last, a miner told me that he had found a dwarves skeleton while digging out the ice lake.
I had done that about a month ago just to test wether it can be done. It can. Why he did not tell me about finding the skeleton of a fellow dwarf, I do not know. I will place three coffins into the tombs, as all dead dwarves were military, I fathom its ok for them to share a tomb.

27th Obsidian 127
The tomb won't be completed in time. I decided to step down. Which comes in handy because Durkon just told me that I have to. I cannot continue this. Sending dwarves to their death is one thing, but dwarves dying under my rule without anyone noticing is too much. I will do as my predecessor: At midnight, in the first glimpse of the new year, I will give this job to the next best dwarf. I will ask nothing of him in return, but one thing: Complete the tomb and place all three dead in there. The engravings didn't even start. I failed.

1st Granite 128
I did it. I am finally free again. Back at the craftdwarves workshop to make beautiful things out of stone and bone. I met some dwarf, shook his hand and told him that he's in charge now. He looked quite puzzled, when I tried to explain to him, what needs to be done in the tomb: The last coffin is being hauled there, but he needs to tell everyone that they may use it to bury people in there. The engravers need to be told to engrave the place. Oh, and the coffin next to the trade depot needs to be deconstructed so that the remains there will be buried properly.
While I was at it, I told him about the partial roof of the aboveground farm that should be completed. I had hoped to put the new refuse pile there, it's safe because it's walled in, you know? Oh, of course the dormitory situation is not really good, either. I just forgot to put the beds I ordered to be made into the bedrooms. Oh well, no one really complained, everyone seemed happy, so what.
Also, the production of steel is lagging somehow. I thought, two iron bars, two flux stones and two units of fuel would make two bars of steel, but even though I counted everything involved before I ordered the steel to be made, the furnace operators keep telling me something about 150(!) units of iron needed. Maybe I misunderstood. The steel production was meant to be a surprise for everyone as I told the furnace operators to keep quiet about it. I wanted to only tell the smiths when I was done with the steel and finally show off with steel armored military. But it didn't work out. I won't think about it anymore
In fact, I won't think about anything anymore but stones and bones and art. I retired. In fact, diary, this will be my last entry. Let me be one of those lazy dwarves, not caring about anything, doing as we are told (if not doing something more important, like, example, party) and demanding better quarters occasionally. Goodbye.

The save can be found here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:26:41 am by mideg »
Oh I love it how SG lowers your expectations.
"Nobody too important died" sounds like a huge success to me now.

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:14 am »

From the diary of Roctiv Imushthiz :

1st granite 128
I did it. I am finally free again. Back in a true fortress, not a pale excuse for a mountainhome with an elf king. At the front gate, I met some dwarf. He shook my hand, told me that I'm in charge now and a few other things about coffins and roofs that I did not quite understand. Then the poor soul dissapeared in the direction of what appeared to be a workshop area.

I was then greeted by a member of the local militia.

"Hey, you ! Yes, you there, the migrant ! What are you doing here ? Get inside and report to the overseer !"

"Actually, I'm the overseer. A rather troubled dwarf gave me the job just a minute ago."

"And you expect me to believe that ?"

"Yes."

"Well. You seem honest so, welcome, overseer ! I will give you a tour of the fortress."

6th granite
A blacksmith angrily yelled at me today, something about him needing 3 iron bars in order to make a barrel. I know we are more or less in rebellion with our king and that all that reminds us of the elves should be thrown out, but isn't there a whole forest outside, just waiting to be cut down into barrels ?

7th granite
A blacksmith angrily yelled at me today, something about him needing 3 iron bars in order to make a barrel. Wait, it's the moron from yesterday. Since this order was issued by the manager, he will bother me with this until the end of time. I told him that the order had been modified. He is now desperately looking for slade to make his barrels, while the fort's best carpenters are at work.

10th granite
I made a detailed review of the military today. Well, I talked to the three of them who were still alive. Apparently, this fort has been running under the authority of dwarves that believe steel is the answer to every problem. Some say the real answer is magma. My answer was crossbows. They stared blankly at me and went back to sparring.

I ordered a tunnel dig accross the river. Time to make this fort's defences effective. The plan is to build a tower in the middle of the plain facing the entrance, and to form a new squad of dwarves only equipped with crossbows and leather armor.

After I finished explaining what a marksdwarf is, I got the feeling that messing with a squad of unhappy steel-equipped dwarves was not a good idea if I wanted to die of old age, and went back to work.

15th granite
Bone and wooden bolts production started this morning. I will start ordering crossbows once the bowyer's worshop is finished.

However, this fort doesn't have any leather, and I need some to make quivers for my marksdwarves...

Oooooow, puppies ! so cute...and...leathery...

18th granite
The crossbows and bone bolts are being put to good use : Tosid Luslemsazir, Hunter killed two unicorns.

24th granite
Migrants. They must be from the vague that departed from the Mountainhomes just after me...Let's see... 19 of them, bringing our population to 65 dwarves.

Well, the Mountainhomes are sending us useful and skilled migrants this year !
- One hunter and marksdwarf, future head of my new squad.
- One Expert armorsmith
- One Adequate weaponsmith
- One High Master gem setter
- 3 dwarves with basic military training, immediately drafted in the Bronze Basins
(note to self : find the dwarf responsible for the name of this squad and feed him to the unicorns)

and here is the rest of them...
- One Surgeon, who is also a skilled butcher
- 2 talented armor and shield users, also talented biters
- One proficient crutch-walker...

Forget what I said before, the King knows of our rebellion and wants us dead.

28th granite
We have got a fuckton of fish, and no fishery... problem solved.

14th slate
MEMORANDUM

To the attention of lye and wax makers, millers and other peasants.

We are pleased to announce you the beginning of our new training program, proudly called "Equality in profession, a Legendary Cheese-maker is worth the same than a Legendary Miner".
We know that it is difficult for you to acces that Legendary status due to lack of work in your field, and this is why we are here for you. We are glad to announce you that during this courses, we will make you Legendary Dwarves. WE WANT YOU.
Now go to the barracks, pick up a crossbow, some bolts and a leather armor extracted from the last vein of goblinite, then go to the archery range. There, an Trained Equality Associate will work with you to make you a Legendary dwarf.

Kindly, Roctiv Imushthiz, Overseer.

25th slate
The smelters... hum, smelter, is clogged up with an endless list of orders from the previous overseers. 2 more smelters solved the problem.

21st felstite
A caravan of tree-huggers showed up at the gate today. Maybe they have some leather with them. I really need to get the quiver production going. We cannot rely eternally on steel-equipped melee dwarves if we want to stop digging tombs.

The elves had no leather.  Too bad for them.
They had a nice discussion with some of the steel-equipped melee dwarves.

On a more terrifying note, one of the swordsdwarf fought with a birchen sword. I ordered him a steel one.

20th hematite
Tower completed. North-east of the entrance. Standard Marksdwarf tower of 7*7 Urists
NOTHING IS HAPPENING.
Working on my quarters.

26th hematite
10 more migants. Population count, 75.
- One Talented speardwarf joined the Bronze Basins, equipped with a steel spear
- One Expert Marksdwarf joined the Tin Whiskers, now composed of two proud marksdwarves and eight peons.

On an unrelated note, I'm bored.
Nothing seems to be happening.
I think it's time we start to secure an acces to the caverns.

27th hematite
I should know when to shut up. A jeweler went crazy today and claimed a workshop. I managed to come this far without killing anyone, please great Armok, make him do an artefact that doesn't need any kind of lobster shell.

5th malachite
After claiming three of our most expensive rough gems and one chestnut log, the jeweler started to work and produced this :

Well, that's a fine bed. Worth 129600☼. I had it installed in my bedroom.
One question, though : How can one make a bed out of three gems ? I am puzzled, but hey, free artifact bed !

11th galena
I decided to take a walk outside and happened to watch our hunter go to work with his brand new crossbow and bolts. One shot, one unicorn down ! Ranged weapons are the future of warfare, I tell you. Wait, why are you still shooting ? It's down on the ground, unconscious and in extreme pain. No need to continue, I tell you. But he would not listen. I watched our hunter empty his quiver of 15 unicorn bone bolts into the dead beast from 20 Urist away, hitting it every time. Crossbows definitively are deadly weapons. But our dwarves are either really stupid, or really sick people.

17th galena
A human caravan has arrived ! Maybe I will finally get the leather I need for the rest of my marksdwarves...

Aw, an ambush. Well, time to test the crossbows in real warfare. Tin Whiskers, up the east tower !

Another vague of goblins attacked from the north. The bolts quickly rained down on them. Half of their squad injured, the goblins retreated. Unfortunately, our Fisherdwarf did not run quickly enough to safety. He will be buried in the center of the soldier's tomb.

the goblins attacking from the east also retreated, letting 3 of their comrades to die under our bolts.

Well, at least now we can trade. I still need some leather for our quivers.
I ordered Durkon, our broker, to buy metal, gems and one bin of leather in exchange for four bins of the cloth stolen to the elves.

5th limestone
I ordered the construction of a new 7*7 Marksdwarf tower on the hill west of the entrance

3rd sandstone
I was told that today, a stonecrafter went moody while making bone bolts and claimed the craftsdwarf's workshop in which he was working.
He collected a block of gypsum, some rock salt, a rough gem and a pig iron bar.
I fear nothing useful will come of this.

11th sandstone
the 2nd tower is finished

12th sandstone

Oh, it was you, mideg. How perfect of you to go into a fey mood WHEN YOU ALREADY ARE A LEGENDARY STONECRAFTER, YOU SON OF A CARP !
Well. show me that thing.

Yes, congratulations, it's... a ring. And it took you those 2 boulders of rock and one of our precious pig iron bars. And it is not even valuable. Now get back to work.

I should watch him closely. His time as an overseer may have tired him.

26th sandstone
9 migrants.All useless. total 85.

3rd timber
the path to the caverns is safe and walled off. A lever commands the raising bridge from the dining room.

17th timber
The liaison has come, and he is bearing good news ! The King is willing to make us a barony. I would have chosen myself to be a baron, but the importance of such of job is scaring me. Also, I have heard too many stories of nobles being killed by angry overseers, and I really want to die of old age. I have recommended Durkon, our dear expedition leader and broker, to take this place. He is the most determined to take down the King, and this position can greatly help him.

Durkon traded most of the stuff the elves so kindly gave us for some rare metals (in case of noble or mayor stupidity), wood, barrels, and ammo for the marksdwarves.

9th opal
5 rhesus macaques tried to force the main entrance to steal some elf stuff that was still in the trade depot. I sent the Tin Whiskers to make them listen to reason. Bolts were exchanged, and the macaques agreed to let their corpses be hauled back in our kitchens.

12th obsidian
Our great exploration staircase is complete. It starts from the cavern (z-level 100) and goes deep underground (z-level 20).
To the next overseer reading this diary : There is a quite interesting mineral on z-level 15. I marked it for you.

7th obsidian
Our baron is nearly tantruming. I do not understand why, all his requests are met.

Oops. That lesser dwarf is probably me, and the pretentious arrangements are probably my brand new artifact bed.
Well, screw him.
What did you say ? He is not only our broker, but also a Legendary Miner ?
And I do not want a Legendary Miner tantruming in the dining room ?
Ok, ok, I will switch my bed with his..."traumatized"...what an elf...

24th obsidian
Double goblin ambush at the gates today, quickly dealt with.
Only one goblin was found killed at our door, with 8 iron bolts in his corpse. The marksdwarves have a strange look in their eyes. I think I made a mistake.

1st granite 129
One year. It has been one year exactly, since my predecessor handed me the fortress with no more than a few words about the corpse of a soldier and an unfinished roof. But now, I know why he was like that. I know why he wanted out so badly. Our kind is crazy. I cannot erase last week's ambush from my mind. Though we did not lose anyone, I saw one of our enemy be turned into a mere pincushion by our marksdwarves. Do not confuse me with some kind of elf. I do not pity him, and I have seen death before. I have seen glorious battles, steel clashing against steel, the soon-to-be-dead dying with honor.
But last week, just like when our hunter chased after this unicorn, it was a massacre without glory, nor honor. I should never have ordered these Armok forsaken crossbows. I handed my notes the militia commander, told him to find someone else to give orders around, and to be ready at all time in case of a tantruming noble. The commander of the good old melee squad. Not the crazy marksdwarves.

Note to the next overseer :

I neglected the Bronze Basins in terms of equipment. They have now 8 Novice to Expert dwarves with a steel weapon they know how to use. Their armor is mainly made of iron and goblinite. You have about 25 bars of steel to equip them, and a good quantity of bitumous coal, limonite and iron ore to get the production going.
The marksdwarves are efficient, and the east and west towers, in addition to the gate tower, allow them to cover a good portion of the valley in front of the gates. But be wary of them : they tend to waste ammunition and their eyes are full of unnecessary cruelty.

The cavern is full of cave spider silk. You can make an industry out of it, if you kill the Forgotten Beast lurking there first.
As for the 15th z-level, the point is marked 'F6' on the map. Do what you want with it. But if you plan on exploiting it, would you please lock me in one of the towers with 10 years worth of food and booze first, please ?

Best regards, good luck, and try not to go crazy like all your predecessors.

Roctiv Imushthiz, Adequate Liar and Ex-overseer.

This is a masterful engraving of Roctiv Imushthiz the dwarf and dwarves by Mideg Athelkol. Roctiv Imushthiz is breaking a crossbow. The dwarves are wondering why their overseers tend to go crazy after a year in charge.

The save is here :
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4475
(take a look at the raws, I'm not sure if I did reset them or not)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:43:32 am by Roctiv »
Have a dwarven day.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:47 am »

The Engravings of Diamondwolf
All hail the king
Behold the King of the Beasts!
A quick little doodle I made. Think it is appropriate to illustrate the first dwarven death of the fortress. I gave him a sword (even though he forgot his) so it looks like he had a small chance.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:09:34 pm by andyman564 »

diamondwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:39:22 pm »

From the Journals of the Diamond Wolf:
1st Granite, 130

I hear them; the sounds of war. The sounds of death. My blade thirsts for blood, for the destruction of our enemies. I hunger to retake the homeland. I desire nothing more than the dark kings blood upon my blade. But instead of war, we hunker in our little hole in the ground. The great civilization of the dwarves is dead. We are under the control of elves. And yet we do not fight, we merely survive. How far we have fallen to be unable to even put up a decent resistance.

Yet today the mantle of leader has passed once more as is the decree of the dark king. I has landed in my hands, and I will use it to cause pain. There are trolls outside. And they will know my blade’s hunger. They will quench it, and perhaps in time the dark king will feed it as well. But before I go to destroy the hapless invaders, I must make an assessment of the current state of the fortress.

The bedrooms are despicable, but the stores are good. Yet the biggest problem is that there is no way to bring the magma to the surface, thus forbidding the ultimate joy of dwarven kind, magma traps. Since I do not have a good chance of bringing the magma to the surface using pumps within my limited reign, I must build a magma piston. I may not have time to utilize it, but by Amrok it will be ready to use for future rulers. But before I start on that, I need to reorganize the fortress since it is a royal mess.

3rd Slate

Zon Domasmosus has been taken by a fey mood. Perhaps his zeal towards his job will bolster both confidence and pride among the dwarven ranks. Perhaps not. Regardless this project will be the corner stone of my rule, the item which will herald all that is to come.

8th Felsite

The forgotten beast has arrived
Truly an abomination that will be destroyed when time allows.

9th Felsite
My hopes were not misplaced. An artifact of surpassing quality has been produced.

When history looks upon my rule truly it will be in awe.

26th Felsite
Today was a day for glory. My men and I stormed the battlefield and slayed the fearsome trolls, with no casualties.

4th Malachite

Uzol Nirkel, Stronecrafter has been possessed. I am certain this is merely a colorful explanation dreamt up by the other dwarves since there are no lost spirits at large.

8th Malachite

Uzol has finally got around to his “mysterious” construction. I was beginning to grow worried about his well being. The aimlessly wandering of the halls while muttering strange things to an unseen entity was beginning to grow thin by its third day.

13th Malachite

Well the good news is Uzol completed his project. The bad news is the project is this.

A retelling of the rise of the elf queen that ruled prior to our king of shadow. Such a thing is an insult to both the drow and the dwarves. Needless to say, I believe he is tempting the dark king to come and slay him. Or perhaps he wishes me to slay him for his blasphemy.

On a more pleasant note the common bedroom area has been excavated and moving are taking place as beds become available.

24th Malachite

I have secured a bed and room for all the dwarves of the fortress. This has pleased the commoners greatly. There are also a great many more rooms with beds for use at a later date.

11th Galena

Some new workshops have been created

This new layout should make it simplier for raw materaisl to be manufactured into final goods.

13th Galena

Robod Shorasktalak, Woodcutter and Tobul Rigothzim, Lye Maker have been mauled to death by gaint badgers. Their screams of horror echoing across the forest. I fear the other dwarves have become quite unsettled. To the point where the dwarves have named the badgers Matoddom and Melbildalith, a pair of mates deadly and devious. This insult to the fortress will not be tolerated. No bloody badger will get away with the destruction of my people. The mangled corpses of my fallen comrades will rest in peace, even if I have to kill these damnedable things myself.

14th Galena

I have ended Melbildallith in a battle befitting a tapestry. Though the creature outweighs me in both bulk and muscle, my skill as a warrior far outmatched its petty power. I danced around it raining down harsh blows with my mace until the blasted thing lay at my feat broken and hoping for death. Only then did I allow its blood to satisfy the souls of its victims.
Meanwhile Matoddom was ended by an axedwarf in an unimpressive show of simple chopping it to pieces. Some warriors are not befitting the glory they seek.
10th sandstone

A grand dining room has been constructed befitting a king. Seating many dozens of dwarves, it is the largest of its kind in this part of the world. As an added luxury, a waterfall was built to add the special ambiance needed to sooth the blood lust of the dwarven masses.

28th Timber

Elven blood is coming out of the waterfall. I am uncertain of how this can be, since there are no elves nearby. Perhaps it is a sign. A god must desire the death of many elves, and I for one am willing to oblige.

16th Obsidian

A goblin siege has arrived. It is quite large, but I am confident in the power of our military.

17th Obsidian

There are too many. My fellow soldiers have fallen, and the door remains open. I cannot allow the creatures access to the fortress, yet I cannot drop my guard long enough to return to the entrance without allowing the siege into the base. I suppose that I knew the truth before I admitted it to myself. I had to stay outside and hold the beasts back if I wanted my people to survive.

With a great battle cry, I issued the closing of the gate. I issued the sentencing of my death. I could not win against this great mass of evil beasts. I could not even hold them back for long. But I had to try.

The fight was certain even before it began. I was outnumbered so greatly that I could not even move. Even so, I thought bravely. My mace waving back and forth with both reckless abandon and deadly force failed to find purchase on any but a few foes. The mass of bodies was so great that I could not even lash outwards. I was grabbed, shook, and thrown towards more creatures repeatedly. My vision grew red, my bones began to crack, but still I thought on. Then came the tamed beasts the trolls had brought with them. I was little more than defenseless against such power. But still I fought. The goblins began launching bolts at me, piercing my skins and hampering my movements. But still I fought. My head began to pound, my body grew weak from loss of blood, and my bones began to crack and snap. But still I fought. Only when I heard the slam of the gate closing did I finally succumb to my wounds. As lifebegan to slip away from me I was at least able to be secure in my glory. My death was a fine one, but not an easy one.

From the records

19th Obsidian

Diamondwolf is dead. Her bravery in battle provided enough time to seal the entrance. We are uncertain what to do now. We are without direction. Our great leader is dead and now all we have is our useless nobles.
25th Obsidian

The mayor is throwing a tantrum in spite of all that was sacrificed for the bloody fool, he wants more. Meanwhile we have started construction of a trap hall.  A replacement leader must be selected and hopefully they will save us from the dire situation in which we find ourselves.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:48:31 pm by diamondwolf »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »

1st Granite, 131
Our leader has died.

In my fort, I am the replacement. It's me.

We're under siege by all the goblins. All of them.

Our mayor is obsessed with elk bird teeth.

And I'm expected to deal with this.

Not a chance. I'll be at my personal smelter making steel until the goblins leave. Don't bother me unless it's something I can actually deal with.

4th Granite
Damn it, Durkon, when I said "don't bother me", I wasn't joking!

11th Granite

Now that's something I can deal with! Where's she going, what does she want?

15th Granite

This is her request list? Well, we do have all that... what the heck is she going to do with it?

19th Granite

... We once had a goblin for a king? Huh.

23rd Felsite

Apparently, the catacombs are full. Let me just get to work on that.

18th Hematite
A brewer has withdrawn from society.

1st Malachite

... Okay, I need to brush up on our history. Were any of our rulers actual dwarves?

4th Galena
One of our armorers lost a masterwork and threw a tantrum. Bluh.

6th Galena

They left? But we're still under siege?

I don't get it. I'm letting the dwarves out.

Later that day

Oh, right. We have a giantess.

Luckily, we only lost one dwarf to my idiocy.

11th Galena
Badgers. fsbhfslas

15th Galena

Ah, hell. Can we just be left alone for one season so I can build my dang siege engine?

16th Galena

AFLFHASDKJSDH

LEAVE US ALONE

17th Galena

Well that's it. We're doomed.

27th Galena
We're all safely inside. Two trolls got past the gatehouse, but they were slain.

Well, I guess we're not all safely inside. I lost nearly all of the military.

28th Galena

Will you give it a rest???

15th Limestone

I've been working on a prison in which to place certain disorderly armorers lawbreakers.

14th Sandstone

"Hey, Ral."

"Hullo, Overseer."

"You want to be captain of the guard?"

"Really? I mean, I'd be honored, but, why me?"

"I'm looking for up-and-coming go-getters to run the fort's criminal justice system. And that's you."

"Sounds legit..." Wow. I didn't realize anyone said that unironically.

"Indeed. And as your first order of business, there's a certain tantruming armorer that needs to be apprehended."

22nd Sandstone

... Right.

27th Timber
Okay, um. Why is nobody delivering food and booze to the prisoners? If I had wanted them dead, I'd have ordered them executed.

27th Opal
A cook has been possessed!

... Legendary feast? pleasepleaseplease that would be so awesome it isn't even funny

5th Obsidian
aw yeah bitches

It's done. This baby will chuck rocks halfway across the map. Assuming the operator is competent enough to launch them in a straight line, that is... but that's what the practice battery down there is for, right?

This will be a great siegebreaker. You know, assuming anyone ever acknowledges again that hey, sieges end sometimes!

Note to future overseers: do NOT forget to raise the bridges here if we're attacked by fliers.

6th Obsidian

=/

21st Obsidian
Another siege came at us.

I uh forgot to write this down when it happened WHOOPS LOL

They broke the one-way hatch thingy that was the cornerstone of the device. :(

1st Granite, 132
... I'm to be relieved of duty, am I?

If you say so.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:19:10 am by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:37 pm »

Ah! What a wonderful day!

It's been a long journey, but we are almost to the end of our weary road. As I write this, we are soon to enter the territory of the fortress Laughterwalls, or perhaps it was the walls of laughter. I can't quite remember the exact name, but I've seen it written out and am certain it is something to do with laughter and walls.

I can just imagine the cheery sounds of dwarves laughing as the work so industriously in the halls, surrounded by the vast walls of secure stone.

There I have been sent to oversee the operations and expansion of, oh, I'll look it up- ah yes, Wallslaughter. Ha ha! The way it's written here, it could almost be- he he- I'll ask them if they butcher the walls for meat!
Oh, how droll. Surely that will add some laughter to those walls!

-The next day-

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear.

-----

How we got past the goblin siege, I'll never know, but no sooner was I within the compound than did my guards turn around and take the same way out.

I rather wish I could have gone with them. I suspect that there has been some terrible mistake. I'm sure the king would never have intentionally sent me here. Why, he said my charitachures were quite insigtful.

I suppose I must make the best of things.

You know, walking around the fortress, I've found a few places were a little work would really brighten the area. For instance, the north wall of the dining hall is dotted with blank spots on the stone. I ordered some smoothing done. Looking at the plans, it appears that this is designed to be a massive internal waterfall. Well, I'm no hydraulic engineer, but I'll see if I can get this working.

As for the invaders on the surface, I've ordered a thourough check of all surface accessways. Hmm... most of these upper tunnels seem to be dug in just the raw soil. We may need to seal off these chambers entirely; they're disused as it is.

Peh, these dogs are everywhere. I'll ask someone to put them away safely.

-----

Found some miners sitting around making gears out of rock, instead of holes out of rock. I told them to stop wasting time. "Aye, I'll get right on it sir, as soon as my break is over."

-----

To shut up the constant complaints about not having fresh water for cleaning patients, I ordered a well room cleared out over the underground lake.

-----

What did they do with all the dogs? Not that I'm complaining, my alergies were really getting to me for a while there. I supppose they must be kenneled down in one of the deeper chambers.

-----

Well, we have dozens of leversm and none of them are labled. This will be interesting. I suppose I'll have to order mechanics to very, very carefully pull them, one at a time. I might put that off for the moment.

-----

Hmm... We seem to have more meat than we anticipated. I must have missed a shipment on the stockpile records. Aside from the meat, our current food stockpiles have lye and venom stored in there too, for some reason. I've declared a properly designed food storage room.

-----

One of the mechanics- Zuglar Swelterflags- started wandering around talking about currents- or maybe currants- in metal and how he could harness lightning for something or the other. I told him it's not much use to harness lightning unless you're trying to go from a cloud to the ground, but he wasn't listening. He's been gathering copper and rock salt and just now ran into the mechanics' workshop.

-----

Zuglar finished his strange mechanism. He calls it The Shell of Flight. It has a goblin face carved on one end, and the copper he worked into it looks a spitting image of Dumat, the legendary general. I told him we'll put it in a crossbow trap and launch some bolts into flight, right into the armor shells of the invading goblins. He looked at me oddly for a moment, then walked away muttering. He's a strange one alright.

-----

I keep finding piles of rotting meat cached away throughout the fortress. Just as one of the haulers dropped off another load of miasmatic tripe, I asked him why he put it there, and he told me it was a garbage pit. "In the center of the main hall?" I asked. He responded that it's been that way for more than a year. I made a note of these old "garbage pits"- I'll have to have signs put up.

-----

I checked out at the surface through a spy-hole. As far as I can see, all the goblins are gone for the moment, apparently eaten by giant badgers. The civilians say we are still sieged, and I'm not particularly willing to test that. Meanwhile, down in the caves, there's an enourmous crab wandering around, excreting some kind of poisonus vapor. Luckilly, I believe that all cave access has been safely sealed. I think.

-----

I asked one of the animal caretakers how the dogs are being served with the new arrangements. He said "It's a stew tonight". I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that. The Dwarves here are a little bit odd.

-----

It's summer!

The Baron started screaming about how he was locked in his chambers the other day. I figured we'd let him out when he calmed down. We'll see when he feels better.

-----

Found out that the lever over there controls a bridge that drops things down a pit... for some reason.

-----

Late summer!
There are remarkably fewer dogs in the meeting hall.

-----

The Baron said he calmed down. We were just about to let him out when he destroyed his bed and screamed that he'd hang the next dozen dwarves to permit any backpacks to leave the fortress.

-----

Dishmab the cook gave birth to a girl. Oh joy.

-----

Um. Well.
I thought the Baron was somewhat quieter than normal.
Well, we'll have to find a new one.

-----

It's Autumn.

-----

I'd been told that an armorer has stolen a workspace in the magma forge. "Magma? We have magma forges?"

Apparently, we have magma forges. They're rather impressive. By the time I made my way down there, Edzul was screaming for leather and cloth. I told him there were tons of leather, but he said he needs cloth first. I told him to take some bandages from the hospoital.

He got an odd look in his eyes and I decided it was best to leave him to his work.

Time to climb the stairs again...

-----

pant pant pant halfway up...

-----

pant pant pant... Late Autumn...

-----

OK! Made it back up.

-----

The mayor keeps saying he can't find some item of his. He won't say what it is. I asked him to describe it, and all he says is "you'll know it when you see it..."

-----

Last I heard from the forges, Edzul was on his way up the stairs to visit the hospital. Huh.

-----

I think there is a sacrificial cult of monkeys worshiping our well room.

-----

I was talking to the armorer who was working on whatever it was down in the magma forge. He said he needed cloth, leather, bones, blocks, bars of metal. I told him we had cloth. He said "Pah, that's not cloth. It's barely even rotten bandages!" I told him we had leather- he said it was only dog leather. (That must be a term for any kind of bulk leather, like pig iron) I told him we had stockpiles of bones, horns, skulls, hooves, and other miscelenea. He said it was only useful for bonemeal. I told him I'd ordered blocks of rock cut just for him. He said he'd never use microline for his project. I told him he was standing meters away from one of the largest iron stockpiles in the land. He said he wanted gold. I told him we had plenty of magma. He said "You call that magma? I wouldn't even- wait, I never mentioned magmaaaaaghhhhrrhrhggg..."

-----

Well, took a few months, but I'm finally back in the fortress proper. I hate climbing those stairs. It's apparently spring now. Also, we've all but finished the waterfall for the dining hall. I've hooked up a fine lever with that lightning mechanism to control the floodgate. Hopefully whoever follows me will make use of it. As for myself, I think it's time I head out for a while.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Proficient Elf Burner

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Aka 'The Woodcutter'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:25:28 am »

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 1st Granite, 133

A strange thing happened today.  I was working at the forges as usual, absorbed in my work, when all of a sudden, I feel a poke on my back.

"Tag!  You're it!"

Looking back, I see our leader walking away with a relieved gait.  Apparently I'm the leader now.  Democracy in action, I suppose.

As the new leader, I looked around the fortress, noting its disheveled appearance, lack of organization, and paucity of military strength.  How under earth has this fortress lasted for so long with such chaos?  I immediately set to work, drafting plans for new quarters and workshops.

Looking at possible locations, it became clear we would have to relocate deeper underground, into the stone.  For too long we have been pestered by weeds at our feet, dirt in our shoes, and tower-caps clogging our halls.  I found a suitably rocky location just underneath the first cavern.

Working through the night, I drafted plans for a four-floor fortress: the top and bottom floors would be dedicated to workshops and smaller stockpiles, with enough room to stockpile raw materials near the workstations.  Between these floors would be a living floor, with quarters for just under 100 dwarves (including larger rooms for nobles), and a storage floor, with large rooms for stockpiling mass amounts of goods, such as food, drink, finished goods and furniture.  Hopefully this is the kind of organization this fortress requires.  I have set our miners to work right away, with the hope we can carve out something more substantial than some dirt rooms and open areas.

http://img.ie/34266.png
http://img.ie/52a04.png
http://img.ie/53872.png
http://img.ie/a3c80.png

Next, I took a look at our labor forces, something the previous overseers seemingly forgot to do.  Letting only the most-skilled craftsmen work should increase overall quality, and in some cases, production.  Speaking of production, I ordered those damned thunderous catapults finally abandoned, now that all their operators are top-notch.  Due to their strength and agility, they will form the beginnings of our new militia, hopefully supplied with steel equipment, unlike the dregs we've protected ourselves with before.  Once they gain some fighting skills to complement their strength, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

It is getting late, and I am drifting off to sleep as I write this.  Much work has been done today, but the coming year will only tax us all more, for I wish to give Wallslaughters more than security and efficiency.

I wish to give it hope.

-Elf Burner

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 28th Granite, 133

Edzul the armorer finally died today, after months of madness.  This leaves me as the only armorer; as such, I must take great pains to protect myself.  Edzul was quickly buried with little fanfare.

Hollowing out of the rooms has begun, and one of the rooms has been designated as a barracks already.  However, there is still much digging to be done, so I have taken two laborers and added them to our miners.  I can only hope this relocation will be finished in time.

-Elf Burner

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 1st Hematite, 133

Spring is over, and yet the first floor is not yet even finished, much less furnished.  Much work will need to be done if I am to finish by the year's end.

http://img.ie/066a8.png

The fortress has been quite peaceful all season: nobody has seen hide nor tail of the goblins recently, and there hasn't been a single tantrum.  A monstrous tick did make its way into the caverns, but it seems to be unable to reach the fortress from its current position.  The only violence in the fortress, it seems, has been the slight trimming of animals, to keep the population under control, and the Mayor's constant complaints about his missing sock (or whatever).

Someone made a nice rock mug the other day.  He then held it aloft and gave it a silly name, as they all do.  It will surely sit in a bin for generations to come.  I've forgotten it already.  What was I writing about anyways?  (I wish I could have a fey mood. D:)

http://img.ie/55381.png

The new squad is at last fully equipped with my steel armor, and are set to train nonstop.  I must note to ensure their happiness despite this schedule.

-Elf Burner

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 1st Limestone, 133

Summer is over.  The second floor is fully dug, has been half-filled with bedrooms, and is being smoothed as I write this.  Excavation of the stockpiles floor has begun.  The golbins have been patiently waiting before our gates, but they will hunger soon, and move on to more plentiful and less stubborn pastures.  To be honest, we'd send our men out, but we can't remember where the lever for the inner drawbridge could be.  I'm sure we'd win, though.

One of the axedwarves has grown attatched to his weapon.  He keeps  his arms wrapped around it as he walks around the halls.  I'm quite sure I heard him call it 'Sasha' once.  I told him to take a day or two off.  I doubt he listened to me.

Someone made a nice wooden statue yesterday.  Unfortunately, it seems they forgot how to carve wood the moment they finished it.  Back to the stockpiles, hauler.

http://img.ie/a1ac3.png

I am cancelling booze production, thanks to the 6000 drinks we have already.  Farms are on standby as well while we make some stockpile space.

-Elf Burner

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 1st Moonstone, 133

Winter is upon us.  The siege has left, but there is still a shadow of fear cast over the fortress; I sense it will be with us all while we remain here.

The final floor is nearly dug, and the bedrooms nearly completed; all that remains is setting up workshops on the 1st and 4th floors, and stockpiling goods on the 3rd.  We have hit a layer of marble on the 4th floor, which should provide for steel bars for many years to come.

Dismantling the rest of the base will be the hardest part, but it will be worth it; partly to allow our overseers to focus on a smaller area, and partly to protect our dwarves better.

-Elf Burner

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 16th Opal, 133

A recently arrived Forgotten Beast had broken into our stairwell.  Worrying for our safety, I sent the guard out to end the problem.  However, I felt they were not ready, and worried that we would see casualties before the day was out.

I could not have been more wrong.

They leapt upon the beast as he was mangling a fish cleaner, dodging his deadly spittle and hacking at him with their weapons.  My armor didn't hurt their chances, either.  They made short work of him, and three of the ten now have axe skills worth mentioning.  The fish cleaner survived, too!...  (At least, last I checked, he was dragging himself the stairs to the hospital.)  Things are looking brighter for our fortress with such an unstoppable force at our beck and call!

-Elf Burner

Diary of Mistem Avusgisek, 1st Granite, 134

Well, the year is over, and the hardest part of relocation is finished:  The nobles' rooms are to their satisfaction.  (The mayor's even holds an armor stand made by one of our finest craftsmen in one of his creative throes!)

http://img.ie/61159.png

The other rooms are prepared as well, and most of the rooms on the 1st floor are filled with workshops and small stockpiles.  I placed 4 large stockpiles in the 3rd room: one for refuse, one for furniture, one for finished goods, and one for food (which the dwarves have refused to fill, to my constant dismay and confusion).

http://img.ie/9a812.png
http://img.ie/0c189.png
http://img.ie/01c63.png
http://img.ie/31789.png

The squad is training hard every day, and already 6 of its members have attained the right to call themselves axedwarves.  Oh, and that fish cleaner is out of bed already.  Quick healer.

Yes, under my leadership, this fortress has gained a much-easier-to-defend position (except for the forges, and several stragglers still working in the workshops above; they will be dismantled soon), a more efficient layout, and a more centralized location, to end my unceasing headaches.  Yes, the next few years shall be great ones as I lead--

"What's that?"

"Oh."

"Yes, sir.  Right away, sir."

I've just been notified that my appointment to leader of the fortress was a complete and utter misunderstanding.  I've just been ordered back to the forges.  Thank Armok, I don't think I could've made it another day before exploding.

Suggestions for my successor:
   -Pump stack from lava sea would make forging
   much, much simpler and safer, use iron or glass
   items
   -Keep squad training 24/7, give them golden
   furniture if you must
   -Find out where that damn drawbridge lever is
   hiding
   -Find out why food isn't being stockpiled;
   wood has the same problem
   -Just clear some stone from the stockpiles, for
   simplicity's sake
   -Have a Boatmurderload of fun

(And with that, my year's up!  Pretty dull, due to the lack of merchants and migrants (Thanks, siege tag) and general walled-offedness ofthe caverns and outside world.  Still, better safe than sorry, I suppose.  Sorry for the lateness again!)

-Elf Burner

Save is here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4698
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:35:48 am by Proficient Elf Burner »