Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serpent Man SWORDMASTER?  (Read 698 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Serpent Man SWORDMASTER?
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:03:05 pm »

So far, in this attempt at the cave challenge, I've run into 3 forgotten beasts: a man made of fire, a scaled tarantula, and something else. The first two died really easily to a nearby Cave Fish Man civ, but the third one (in a lower cavern, probably) has been fighting since I embarked a YEAR ago. The Serpent Men it killed, in the Unit screen, are Swordmaster, Spearmaster, Spearmaster, and Wrestler. Is it possible for Serpent Men to use swords? Wooden? Obsidian? Metal??!!? And can primitive sentients gain skills, because if these are the ones that died, I don't want to fight the ones that haven't.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Serpent Man SWORDMASTER?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:16:12 pm »

So far, in this attempt at the cave challenge, I've run into 3 forgotten beasts: a man made of fire, a scaled tarantula, and something else. The first two died really easily to a nearby Cave Fish Man civ, but the third one (in a lower cavern, probably) has been fighting since I embarked a YEAR ago. The Serpent Men it killed, in the Unit screen, are Swordmaster, Spearmaster, Spearmaster, and Wrestler. Is it possible for Serpent Men to use swords? Wooden? Obsidian? Metal??!!? And can primitive sentients gain skills, because if these are the ones that died, I don't want to fight the ones that haven't.

As far as I know, anything non-Dwarf cannot gain skills, like the Wreslter and cannot become a master wrestler. It would be recommended though that you keep your melee dwarves away from the masters and get some Xbow dwarves attcking them, as even a dwarf in full Adamantine can easily die from a Weapon Master
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, given that underground civ members who kill forgotten beasts become friendly.

Also, maybe the swordmaster got his skill by always being out of ammo for his blowgun and thus bludgeoning people with it (hitting people with bows or blowguns trains swordsmanship).
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:31 pm »

The one that kills it becomes friendly. The others still attack.
And it doesn't matter. A Titan made of Yellow Zircon showed up and mauled everything. Shouldn't have turned up the number of megabeasts so high.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:37:39 am »

Yes they can, check my latest fortress for proof. :)
And yes, they will be deadly.