Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Power Pump Stacks?  (Read 3120 times)

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
How to Power Pump Stacks?
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:53:56 pm »

I'm relatively new to Dwarf Fortress, and recently decided that it's time to conclude my initiation and finally build a magma-safe pump stack. I know how to build pump stacks, but there's one problem I want to ask before I go ahead with the 40z transfer of molten stone - how do you power the stack? Do you just have one dwarf pump the bottom one (Or top one?) and then that power permeates throughout the whole thing? I know that each pump uses 10 power, so can a dwarf generate the 400 power needed to power the whole stack? Or do I have to have a dwarf maybe pump every 10th pump? I guess the real question here is how much power does a screw-pump pumping dwarf generate?
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to Power Pump Stacks?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:58:01 pm »

A dwarf on a pump powers that pump.

What you're looking for are windmills and gear assemblies.  Wiki it and get back to us.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 04:10:31 pm »

Must... resist... pitching... super-reactor...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:29:18 pm »

Must... resist... pitching... super-reactor...

Sounds like an exploit there.

I'm guilty of using the endless garbage dump. It's just so ridiculously efficient I can't help but indulge  :-X

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:44:33 pm »

The endless garbage dump is a must, there's no other way to effectively clear large amounts of stone.  As for the reactor, someone has built a 3 level mega-reaction that provides upwards of 3,000 power I believe.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »

For the sake of your framerate, you should take a look at this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72296

As for the reactor, someone has built a 3 level mega-reaction that provides upwards of 3,000 power I believe.

Link please?

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »

So that dwarven reactor would theoretically power 17 of the pumps (Since it creates 170 power)... Not quite enough, I'd like to see that super-reactor though, definitely!
But still, how much power does 1 dwarf pumping produce? Just enough to power his pump?
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:34 pm »

So that dwarven reactor would theoretically power 17 of the pumps (Since it creates 170 power)... Not quite enough, I'd like to see that super-reactor though, definitely!
But still, how much power does 1 dwarf pumping produce? Just enough to power his pump?

I dwarf powers 1 pump, and produces zero power to anything connected to the pump.  Basically, when a pump is being powered by a dwarf it's not connected to or transmitting power to any other mechanical devices.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »

All you need to make a water reactor is a screwpump with waterwheels on it over an enclosed pool of water.  Start the pump and it creates a cycle of water that powers itself.  Your best bet is a row of waterwheels with a pump at each end pumping north.  Leave the north row uncovered and put a wall directly next to the south side

Something like
level 1
0XWWWWWWX0
0xWWWWWWx0
0.WWWWWW..0
level 0 (ie; underneath the above one)

0 = wall
. = empty space
W = water wheel
Xx = screw pump pumping from the south.

If you want to get really Fun, you can build two rows in parallel in the same pool. 

eg;

XWWWWWWX
xWWWWWWx
 WWWWWW

XWWWWWWX
xWWWWWWx
  WWWWWW

Just hook them together with gears and axles and it's good for a couple of thousand uristWatts.  Fluctuates like hell though, but generates a lot of power while the water level lasts.  Oh, only fill the lower level to 7/7, not the top level too, otherwise you'll only get a fraction of it's potential output.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:22:07 am »

Self advertising here, but still relevant to topic.

Made a giant self sustaining underground power source with 2k Urists net output.
It was later modified and perfected to pump out 6k Urists of power.

How it began
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84451.msg2273097#msg2273097

How it ended.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84451.msg2274451#msg2274451

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:32:52 am »

The endless garbage dump is a must, there's no other way to effectively clear large amounts of stone.

d-->b-->h

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 03:35:01 am »

Yeah, just try making a stockpile on top of hidden stone.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 03:39:11 am »

Yeah, just try making a stockpile on top of hidden stone.

...It never HASN'T worked for me >_>

Not really, i just put a gigantic stockpile room in the soil layer