Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is a Legendary Dwarfy Dream, it Menaces with spikes of awesome.  (Read 1077 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile

Ok, so it starts with Dwarf Fortress.  Simple enough really. Me playing the game.

Started off with my mind seeing the standard Top down Mayday Dwarf Graphics mod.  The Fort I began to lay out seemed to follow my current preferred design, that of large circles in a larger ring with a "city" Of course the dream let things get a bit bigger then normal.  I started seeing over lapping rings extending out in greater and greater sizes. At one point my mind "told" me I had over 700 Dwarfs!!!

Seriously 700 dwarfs in one sprawling mammoth fortress.

Of course as the dream got going, my mind brought up "Real" Dwarf Fortresses.  I began overlaying images of Moria from LOTR and "Lonely Mountain" from The Hobbit.  I could actually "see" from the perspective of the Dwarfs.  It was a pretty kick ass fort, hug forges, expansive caverns, immense sprawling halls that menaced with spikes of gold and silver.

The bigger the fort became the more it had to expand.  And sadly we dug too much too deep!

A horrible forgotten beast was unleashed! Not just a Beast, but a Fallen GOD! I raised a might army against him, drafting my most Dwarf Dwarfs who had smote down many a beast before.  My whole city readied for battle. The Evil would send forth might legions of beasts which my dwarfs attacked in fearsome battle!  Again and again great dragons and horrid beasts from the depths where called up and my legions would strike them down.  But the war was a costly one! My Dwarfs grew fatigued and realized they had to destroy the fallen God Directly!

They gathered themselves up in one mighty force to take on the great Evil directly!

But, it was to no avail! The Great enemy would lay down vast rows of Dwarfs, smiting them down with reckless abandon.  Watching from on high, I realized it was not playing by "the rules" at least... Not the Rules of Dwarf Fortress. 

It saw me up on high, and mocked my Hubris! I realized he had been but toying with my mighty city all along! That at a whim he could lay waste to all I had built. I knew then that only I could take this great evil on!

I adorned myself with the best my Dwarfs had mad, a great armor and mace of Adamantine and challenged the Fallen God on his own grounds!

Deep in the very depths of my City we waged epic battle, ever he smote me and ever I hewn him!  Many a time he had but struck me down, but I recovered if only just.  And then, I realized something which would turn the tide of battle.  He was NAMING his attacks upon me!

I now knew what rules he was playing by, the great Beast was playing by ANIME Rules!  Because everyone knows you NAME you attacks in anime!

Armed with this knowledge, I fought back with renewed vigor! I took up the mantle of an Anime hero as I knew the rules well, better I would guess then the Evil! 

"I am Crossroadia! Leader of the Dwarfs of Crossroads! I fight for the glory of the Dwarf and the great Toad! And in the name of the Toad I shall Punish you!"

I picked up a Pen, which we know is mightier then sword, and I picked up a book which was my shield!  I needed an "upgrade" because everyone knows Anime heros always get upgraded before defeating the final Boss! 

Inspired by their leaders great acts, my remaning Dwarfs banded together behind me, ready to join me in a final clash.  As if sensing this turning tide, the Evil turned upon us! He let loose his most fearsome attack, an attack... He forgot to name!

I raised my book which became a mighty Dwarf Shield, the blast struck us and we were engulfed in fire! A great cone of destruction lept out around us, smiting my glorious city into ashes!  The beast thought he had won at last, yet.  I emerged still alive! My Dwarfs ready for final battle!  My Pen became a Fearsom Dwarf Hammer and I lept forth!

And then... And then my "mom" came into the dream, and said I had to take out the trash... which was rude since I had moved out of my parents over Three years ago.

By the time I came back, the game had reset to "demo" mode :<
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dreaming in Mayday? How disappointing.

Seriously, though, this is pretty cool. An entertaining read. I wish I had dreams like this more often. Didn't much like the end, though. What exactly do you mean by '"demo" mode?'

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, back to the intro movie...

Usually in a dream, if the dream "derails" it tries to go back to a starting point.  In this point when I tried to go back, I ended up 'seeing' the starting movie, shortly after that I woke up.  Indeed a bit disapointing, One needs to write what epic battle the final clash would have been.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile

I had a short portion of DF in a dream once. I think it was also slightly lucid. I was basically wandering the fort commanding random dwarves to go make soap, or something. The ceiling never seemed to stay at the same height (My dreams seem to have bad memory)

Eventually it turned into some random everyday dream that i forgot about.

Yours seemed to be a bit more interesting.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

You simply should have dropped the ceiling on it.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sugata-senpai

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anime Watcher+3 Legendary Manga Reader+5
    • View Profile

I adorned myself with the best my Dwarfs had mad, a great armor and mace of Adamantine and challenged the Fallen God on his own grounds!

Deep in the very depths of my City we waged epic battle, ever he smote me and ever I hewn him!  Many a time he had but struck me down, but I recovered if only just.  And then, I realized something which would turn the tide of battle.  He was NAMING his attacks upon me!

mace of Adamantine

This was the real problem during your battle, Adamantine is terrible for blunt weapons like maces.
Me: I'll kill you... I'll kill you all!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!...

UristMcRandomNurse: Sir, patient 137 is laughing maniacially again.

UristMcDoctor: Don't worry, if we just ignore him he'll calm down and go back to playing Dwarf Fortress.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mace of Adamantine

This was the real problem during your battle, Adamantine is terrible for blunt weapons like maces.
My exact thoughts.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile

mace of Adamantine
For some reason this was the first thing that caught my eye in this entire post.

edit: double ninja'd

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it WAS A dream after all, I was lucky to be as lucid as I was in term of realizing it was using Anime rules as opposed to Dwarf Rules in the battle.

Really I tend to have a lot of lucid dreams, and usually "know" I am in a dream, which helps a hell of a lot in situations like this.