Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Astronaut: Moon, Mars, and Beyond AKA That NASA-funded game  (Read 7287 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Astronaut: Moon, Mars, and Beyond AKA That NASA-funded game
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »

They said that there will be lots of missions during the travel. So, traveling to Mars might take a few months, but you will be able to do missions such as repairing a computer, or making sure a radiation shield is in place. Judging from Moonbase Alpha, they have a good setup.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »

Hopefully not literal months. All the mission minigames in the world wouldn't be worth waiting 3 months just to be able to continue with the main game. Maybe a few days at most.
Nothing important here, move along.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »

Hopefully not literal months. All the mission minigames in the world wouldn't be worth waiting 3 months just to be able to continue with the main game. Maybe a few days at most.

Agreed, no one is stupid enough to make it that realistic though.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 11:38:58 pm »

Even in multiplayer, they can say "the flight takes three months" and drop you off (at the cost of implied synchronicity). I can see the delays if it were a management game, but it looks like a lot of this consists of running around and doing things oneself.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »

Agreed, no one is stupid enough to make it that realistic though.

If you build it, they will come.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 01:25:22 am »

I think Desert Bus falls into the "ironic" category.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »

I think that maybe in space travel mode you'd move maybe 1 hour per month or something and have minigames to go along with it.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »

Alright, Space travel is NOT going to be abstracted. Advanced engines will crunch the time down to about 80 days, but you're still going to have to wait.

There is, however, their form of a workaround.
Quote from: Astronaut: MMB Developer
Now my idea was to have avatars of avatars in the game (it was in our pitch document).

Again, so you put on a helmet, and so do 3 of your friends. You head to a moonbase. On that moonbase, you open your eyes, and see your friends, and they see you. If astronauts put on a helmet, they see you too, but there is a slight time delay.

This delay gets larger if we consider Mars. It could be minutes.

So even if future engines take 80 days to get there (instead of a year), what can we do with the time? Besides having your avatar selves hop around magically - you can take control of robots sent ahead of time.

Well we build - we build - the delay gets easier when we get closer [Edit: NB That is when you're flying in a spacecraft to a destination.].

tl;dr you get to control robots on the surface of Mars and Deimos while waiting to get there.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 04:10:14 pm »

Genius, While we wait we can build our moon base so we can just get right to work!

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »

Alright, Space travel is NOT going to be abstracted. Advanced engines will crunch the time down to about 80 days, but you're still going to have to wait.

While 80 days might be much faster than normal, it gives me hope that all aspects of this game are at least moderately realistic. Clearly this means they are not catering to the average Call of Duty player, which also clearly means they won't have to worry about simplifying the game.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2011, 04:29:56 pm »

Well maybe have a day being 24 hours, 12 hours ingame per 1 hour real life like most games with a day/night cycle or so. That means you have 160 hours or only 6.6 days real time to pass 80 ingame days.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2011, 04:47:28 pm »

How they deal with time will most likely make or break this I think. Because it's multiplayer, speeding up time so that days are reduced to hours or minutes only works if you make it universal, whether your flying in space or not. I don't see how that would work without looking really silly for the things that don't need any time compression. So yeah, the only alternative would be unrealistically fast ships.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]