Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven pool pass  (Read 1225 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven pool pass
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »

The only path to reach (and leave) the only meeting area in my fort, is filled with 4/7 water on purpose, yet my dwarves seem to prefer to starve/thirst to death rather than leave through the water, I'm confused. The wiki mentions that dwarves, while they avoid water, can safely pass through anything below 7/7 and will do so if necessary.

So yeah I want to teach them swimming just for shits and giggles but the bastards refuse.

What am I doing wrong?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven pool pass
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:50:40 pm »

The only path to reach (and leave) the only meeting area in my fort, is filled with 4/7 water on purpose, yet my dwarves seem to prefer to starve/thirst to death rather than leave through the water, I'm confused. The wiki mentions that dwarves, while they avoid water, can safely pass through anything below 7/7 and will do so if necessary.

So yeah I want to teach them swimming just for shits and giggles but the bastards refuse.

What am I doing wrong?

They won't pathfind through 4/7 stationary water, I learned this in my current fort.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »

Yes, I believe 3/7 is the accepted maximum depth that dwarves will walk through, presumably because it's shallow enough that they don't get their beards wet.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »

my dorf's beards are 7 urists long

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:27 pm »

You guys are right, I misread the wiki. Apparently you have to force them to stay in a room with with water above 3/7 but below 7/7 to teach them swimming.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »

Trick is making the level uneven so it's half 4/7 and half 3/7, not great for f.p.s. since it will keep calculating how the water is moving, but it will shift enough for them to path through it, but also occassionally start swimming.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

after much fiddling i wound up
* with everyone wearing hoods, shields, picks etc
* having 10 lowest quality training spears
* and 10 lowest quality mechanisms
placed as 10 weapon traps in a tile wide path
operated by pressure plates, using a hunting dog looking for its owner.
to the left and right of path are 3 tiles of pressure reduced aquifer water
there are ramps on the sides of the path and by the floodgates that let out
the water so that the dwarfs can get back out after more or less drowning at first.
after a while everyone is keept clean and keeps on learning to dodge, swim etc
 as they go to get booze and hang out.

not sure that the lq mechanisms were needed, but the hoods sure are.
many dwarfs were drowned, many brains pierced and many posts scoured
in the development of this cross training setup. one could probably make the
water just 1 tile wide.. but as they already swim better by the time they dodge better
wider is probably ok too. you just have to figure out how to tap an aquifer from below
without making a complete mess of things.

hth