Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A point about traders.  (Read 683 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
A point about traders.
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:24:20 am »

Trade caravans sent from the mountainhomes, are they run by actual supply and demand? If so, then wouldn't the caravans simply be redistributing the needed resources from the various colonies to the mountainhomes and then back out to the colonies again? If that is the case, then the insight into the way dworfs view themselves is entirely different to how we view them. This would dictate some level of organization, a set of floating warehouses (floating as in not being tied down to any one good or group) attached to a group of men who devise the substituent prices on goods based on need versus demand of the empire as a whole as opposed to simply increasing the profit margins of the traders. The system is a self righting system, by which the efficient colonies with the capacity to prosper will see an increased amount of attention through this defined wealth, soon becoming the attention of nobles and the monarch. By all rights, these dworfs are brilliant and recognize the value of advancement and survival as a whole, as opposed to survival as an individual.

Am I right?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Re: A point about traders.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:28:58 am »

But they don't run on supply and demand yet.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:35:26 am »

So whats the precedent for asking for a bunch of maces and axes one liason, then asking for booze and crutches the next?
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:52:36 am »

So whats the precedent for asking for a bunch of maces and axes one liason, then asking for booze and crutches the next?

They bring whatever you request if they can make it. prices dont fluctuate or change yet.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:36 am »

Do you mean, the liason asking YOU for that stuff?
RNG. It makes succession and community games more entertaining, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:52 am »

Do you mean, the liason asking YOU for that stuff?
RNG. It makes succession and community games more entertaining, though.

Blast and damn! Here I was thinking that there was some level of organization amongst our dworfs!

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:30:52 am »

Dorfs and organization in the same sentence? Blasphemous!
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:47:15 am »

Dorfs and organization in the same sentence? Blasphemous!

Not entirely, my dworfs are capable of running the magma cylinders. A small storage yard of metal vats of magma pumped from the sea itself. It has a tendency to suffer Goldilocks syndrome To much and the vats overflow, too little and there's not enough to run the obsidian foundry and defenses. So far it's been pretty successful and it's perfect for my obsidian sword industry. The reason for the swords? I didn't have a decent weapon-smith, but a stone crafter managed to go fey and became legendary. I decided to focus the fortress around her capacity, magma cylinders, pumpstacks, obsidian foundries. The works. Then a master weaponsmith came along. I didn't want to have to stop what I thought was pretty awesome so I drafted him into the farms.

Admittedly, it is a fairly shallow embark and the foundry and storage yard isn't that great, but I wanted had to position the drainage grates over the great hall. One screw up and the hall floods with magma or water. Or both, at the same time.