Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floor Fungi  (Read 809 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Floor Fungi
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:13:28 am »

I just embarked on a site with a volcano and floor fungi are allready spouting all over the place, whats happening?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: Floor Fungi
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:49 am »

a cave open to the cavern layer letting the spores out?
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:35 am »

If some part of the magma layer goes up into the bottom cavern, into a sort of small magma lake, then it's possible to reveal a small portion of the caverns when you reveal the magma layer.  Presumably, the tree and fungus spores travel through magma to settle upon your mud and soil, but really it's just based on if you have some part of the cavern revealed.  I don't have a lot of experience with volcanoes, but their interiors are immediately revealed, all the way down, right?  See if you can't spot where a small section of a cavern layer is visible many z-levels down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:34:54 am »

They're not revealed immediately.  See: volcano yaks.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:42:42 am »

Oh.  Incorrect explanation.  I don't know the answer.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:46:39 am »

That's, uh...

Cave fungus burns.

Cave fungus spores are magma immune.

For some reason I think logic is spinning in his grave.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:45 pm »

That's, uh...

Cave fungus burns.

Cave fungus spores are magma immune.

For some reason I think logic is spinning in his grave.

I guess there is a problem which can't be solved by using a sufficient amount of magma.
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

AiresPenlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:26:10 pm »

I guess there is a problem which can't be solved by using a sufficient amount of magma.

Heresy and Elvish Lies!

It's clear that sufficient heat makes the seeds dormant. Once they settle somewhere muddy, and cool down, the protective shell of the spore opens up and allows the plant to grow. Unfortunately, while this allows them to produce spores of thier own, without a protective pericap, they are vulnerable to flame. And magma.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »

True. While the spread of cave fungus is something you can't solve, the cave fungus in itself IS. Sometimes, prevention is not the solution.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:29:21 pm »

Heresy and Elvish Lies!

It's clear that sufficient heat makes the seeds dormant. Once they settle somewhere muddy, and cool down, the protective shell of the spore opens up and allows the plant to grow. Unfortunately, while this allows them to produce spores of thier own, without a protective pericap, they are vulnerable to flame. And magma.

Sounds like a parent who makes a sacrifice so his offspring can go on, to live a better life, only to get trampled.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »

Hmm. There are sometimes map glitches that happen this way with volcanos. Once, I embarked on a glacier volcano and noticed a gigantic gaping hole in the ice. It pierced all three cavern layers and ended on the snow-covered slade floor below.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)