Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McMiner cancels dig self out of pit: Hunting for small animal  (Read 1158 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this feature is the worst

is there a way to disable it so my dorfs dont become dysfunctional in the event of famine

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMiner cancels dig self out of pit: Hunting for small animal
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:14 pm »

this feature is the worst

is there a way to disable it so my dorfs dont become dysfunctional in the event of famine
Yes. Make some food.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:19 pm »

Don't let them hit famine? Put yourself in his shoes--you dug down following the overseers orders, figuring someone would mind your way and out, and now you're down there eating earthworms while the seasons go by.  At least he hasn't starved...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »

how about dumping some food down to him, then unforbid it?

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:06 pm »

helpful advice  :D

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

helpful advice  :D
Won't work. The dwarf will finish the job he's working on unless interrupted. If he cannot find a vermin before he starves, he will die, regardless of how many feasts you drop down there.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »

really? i had a couple of miners trapped in a small pit, i had forgotten that they were there and when i checked both were starving and "Hunting vermin". when i designated a rescue path, they both eagerly started digging their way out.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »

Lucky you. When I was new to DF, I often accidently told miners to remove the ramps letting themselves out because I didn't relise that a dig designation did not vanish when you channeled above it. Often I rescued the dwarves, but often...they starved to death while looking for bugs in a mine instead of digging the last few tiles to freedom, fresh air, and FOOD.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.