Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave...Crocodile...  (Read 1220 times)

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
Cave...Crocodile...
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:15 am »

I haven't faced too many sieges so:

Is this normal?  On a related note, is this bad?

Every single goblin has a cave crocodile or troll mount.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave...Crocodile...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:31:13 am »

Shoot the mounts out under them, or injure them heavily will turn the mount, carrying his goblin rider, out the other direction. Even more awesome is that the leaders usually are the only ones with mounts in early sieges, so those are so easy to rout. Mounts make battles so much easier at the cost of decreasing the goblinite yield.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:33:45 am »

I don't have any archers, just a line of superpowered weapon traps and a drowning chamber.  Each trap has 3 steel serrated disks and my drowning chamber will only run once.  Do you think I can stop this?  The traps have completely torn apart sieges before.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:37:41 am »

The country I'm in blocks any images from image shack etc, so I can't see the image you may have posted. But a single line of weapon traps... They usually get past a line of traps. Try to get as many of them as you can in the drowning room to maximize the advantage.

Also, cave crocs breath underwater. However, before you panic, their riders don't. So have fun.  ;D

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:49:35 am »

The country I'm in blocks any images from image shack etc, so I can't see the image you may have posted. But a single line of weapon traps... They usually get past a line of traps. Try to get as many of them as you can in the drowning room to maximize the advantage.

Also, cave crocs breath underwater. However, before you panic, their riders don't. So have fun.  ;D

The image shows an entire page of cave crocodiles in the units list.  I'll post results.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:06 pm »

Well that was...amazing.  I haven't ever held off a siege of that magnitude, I now love DF even more.  That was just the first frame of the siege, there were more than a hundred goblins and crocodiles and trolls.  A group of the goblins drowned after their mounts decided to take a shortcut through a lake, my militia commander killed 12 trolls and gained a sexy title, and there are blood stains and body parts everywhere.  So to everybody who quits their forts early like I used to do, wait until you get a siege like this.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:35 pm »

Eventually, the goblins will send their General leading a siege squad, and once that happens, they won't have siege mounts anymore.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:58:34 pm »

Then look through the profiles of your militia.  See the ones that get maybe 2-3 kills in as many invasions.  Then you get a hero who single-handedly slaughters 30+ invaders.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.