Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins trainable / captureable?  (Read 1131 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Goblins trainable / captureable?
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:50:19 am »

can someone who have tried this tell me how it changed the game. Could you equip them? Did it become ridicolous to have a goblin army defending against goblins?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins trainable / captureable?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:12 am »

Even if you capture goblins, there's no way to "tame" them, if they're released they'll start attacking  your dwarves again.  The best use for captured goblins is for "live combat practice", it gives your military much faster practice than sparring.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:40:47 am »

What if you add the PET tags?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:40:01 am »

Well, goblins are sentient, so I don't think your dwarves would train them, even with [PET] or [TRAINABLE].  But if you modify the raws to make them non-sentient, I don't think they'd be organized enough to attack you in large numbers anymore.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:44:44 am »

Well, goblins are sentient, so I don't think your dwarves would train them, even with [PET] or [TRAINABLE].  But if you modify the raws to make them non-sentient, I don't think they'd be organized enough to attack you in large numbers anymore.

Wait... does this mean that wasps are sentient in real life?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:48:53 am »

Well... do IRL wasps have the [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] tags?  I don't think God is gonna let us poke into his .raw's.   :P

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:51:44 am »

Well... do IRL wasps have the [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] tags?  I don't think God is gonna let us poke into his .raw's.   :P

Some researchers have argued that the [CAN_LEARN]. In fact, they even claimed that honeybees [CAN_COUNT_TO_FOUR].
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:46:11 am »

Hmmm. Caged goblins can be "tamed" after adding [PET] tag, but are still tagged as invaders if you release them.

I might try a breeding program to see if I can get proper tame goblins in the second generation, might have to change more tags to get this to work. It may be that anything with the invader tag will not breed. I could never get "tamed" beak dogs invaders to claim a nest box and lay an egg. Invaders may have breeding turned off all together (i only tested this with Goblins, Ogres, Trolls, Beak Dogs, so many more tags to try out)

I haven't played with Runesmith yet either, so that might open up possibilities to remove invader status.

DFusion "friendship" lets you make goblins into regular workers though, which come as part of normal migrations. They can be regular pets if you make them [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] during worldgen, this works in the vanilla game with any race. Dfusion can then force them to work if you want to.

One idea I was looking at was dropping hostile captured goblins into their own danger room, training goblin elites up, and releasing them on unsuspecting elven traders. (with airlocks and a recaging system)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:57:43 am by Reelyanoob »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:11:40 pm »

Even if invader, is resident, tags are removed, they have the babysnatcher tag in raws, which dorfs consider kill on sight. Would be a hoot to add it to elfs and humans in world gen raws
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »

Well, that tag can be removed from the race raws in the save. Whether the individual gobbo's are still tagged internally. I do not know.