Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zeno Clash - Punching your way through your nightmares  (Read 1121 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zeno Clash - Punching your way through your nightmares
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:04:05 pm »

Made a new topic because the last one has been dry for a couple of years.. Finally got around to this game and man I love it! I know a lot of people are down on the story(and I haven't beat it yet) but I think it's great. Abstract and bizzare yes, but it is a breath of fresh air compared to all the generic stories found in the big titles. What a unique game, story and gameplay like I've never experienced. I imagine I could tire of this pretty easy but worth the price. Biggest gripe is no multiplayer. Oh, unless you own an xbox. Again us pc'ers get the shaft. We make games popular then when people start paying attention the game developers release a version for the console kids with added content that us loyal pc users have no access to(Spelunky!!). BIG pet peeve.
Anyway, I feel this is a love it or hate it kinda game. Reminds me a lot of the old boxing arcade games. Oh and did I mention it's stunningly gorgeous maxed out running at 1920 res?

I wish there were more titles this unique not only in gameplay but also in story, art design, presentation and style.  Can anyone think of any other titles that are similar? Even if only in spirit?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Zeno Clash - Punching your way through your nightmares
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:36:21 pm »

I liked the style, but I seem to remember I disliked the combat.

I can't think of anything remotely similar in art style or spirit.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:16 pm »

I must say it is my favorite game of all time. Any more then that, I can't say. I'd call it a great game even if it was crap because it's trying a new setting rather then just Tolkien with gameplay. I am on the far side of the spectrum, on the love side.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »

Pretty great game overall, though the ending left me shocked and wondering to myself "what the fuck writers why are you doing this shit to me?". Very unique character and art styles, and despite the actual plot being relatively simple, it's presented in a way that it feels complex and engaging, and I don't mean to say that in a bad way. I'm sure people would disagree and say that it's cliched and unnecessary, but I felt like it was used in a reasonable and enjoyable manner. Going to have to re-iterate that the ending is flat out bullshit though unless I somehow missed some secret that makes it not bullshit. Didn't have any trouble with the action even on the hardest difficulty, which seemed to be a big issue for a lot of people. The only hard parts in the game were the "sniper" boss and his suicide squirrels (Rrrrrats, Get near him! Stupid Rats!).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:13:25 pm »

I wasn't a great fan of the art style in places, or the story, but found the combat interesting. There was one bit that really bothered me in a series of rooms late in the game. The task was annoying and you had to repeat it again and again, anyone else remember? The game shouldn't of had firearms either in my opinion.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »

I played it during a free weekend or something, interesting game, but the art and story didn't appeal to me.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:38:11 am »

I actually like the guns. They don't feel like real guns, they feel like little rock firing contraptions. It makes me smile  :)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 05:03:45 am »

Damn it dude, I thought there was a new game out or something :(

I really liked Zeno Clash. People have been ragging on the story, but I found it quite nice, if a bit mental at times. I also loved the combat, though I always need a couple of hours to get into it rather than roleplay a punching bag.

What drew me in most was the art-style, though, especially the characters. The only thing I dislike is that it was so on-rails, but if I remember correctly the devs have promised their next game would share the aesthetic but focus a lot more on exploration.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 05:37:40 am »

I wasn't a great fan of the art style in places, or the story, but found the combat interesting. There was one bit that really bothered me in a series of rooms late in the game. The task was annoying and you had to repeat it again and again, anyone else remember? The game shouldn't of had firearms either in my opinion.
The place with all the torches? If so, yeah, that was a bit silly and boring.

Personally, I loved the story, especially the forest dwelling fellows. I just thought it was such a unique idea, albeit missing the other side of the extreme
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:57:15 am »

I felt the ending was a bit too... plain? Like it turns out something's not as surreal as it initially was made out to be? Would've preferred if it went more surreal. I liked the story and setting up until then, though.

Not much of a fan of the combat system, mostly because everything takes way too much punishment. The attacks look and sound like they have gravity, but it takes like a hundred of them to knock someone out.

Concerning similar games, there's Planescape Torment and The Void as far as style goes. Gameplay wise... Mirror's Edge kinda? Dark Messiah of Might and Magic maybe? Or Condemned sorta? I can't think of many games that'd even have a remotely similar FPP combat system.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:39:05 pm »

Even though I liked the combat, sans the guns, it certainly could have been better. The best almost first person fighting game I've played is Super Punch Out for the SNES. It's complex enough but I'm not sure how they could have free movement plus that kind of fighting with sensible controls.

The place with all the torches? If so, yeah, that was a bit silly and boring.
Indeed...
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands