Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Real survival games?  (Read 9483 times)

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real survival games?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 10:48:53 am »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:32 pm »

Life
Oh yeah, that old game. Played it.
Hey, you guys hear something about a sequel? Heard it was coming out... Oh, about December 21st 2012?
I've heard it was a hoax.
It could possibly exist, but it's been in development hell for ages, and possibly went through many beta stages. Last one most people can recall was that the game suffered a flood detection fault and to make matters worse, the rain just wouldn't stop, and essentially crashed a majority of the server after 40 days of looking past it, assuming it was a feature; end result severing almost every account in the process, except for maybe a dude and his clan hoarding animals on a wooden battleship or ark megaproject.

As for the original game of life, it's nothing like it's board game counterpart. Essentially I think the board game is an abridged version with a more optimistic outlook on how others play (too easy to gain money in that version, and you're railroaded into getting a family/kids far too easily and early). The non-board game version, there are too many griefers when it comes to obtaining social relationships of most-all natures; I mean, ever try gaining experience for dating skill or charisma enhancement perks? Harder than getting a scholarship or a lucrative job to gain great income. The "Ladies Man" perk really helps in this regard, but unfortunately, it either requires starting with really high charisma and a 1/100 chance of getting it if you are that high (that is, to start with the perk), or a metric shit-ton of experience, which already is nintendo hard to obtain on it's own.

On the plus side, if you start the game within a sizable clan, sometimes it's easier to get past the tutorial levels early and gain a few skills/perks faster than others that start solo or with a few team members (thanks to shared XP gain). Then again, you also have to deal with your teammates and their habits and whatnot within home base for a couple/many/several years. It also helps if the originators of the clans have also done a good job maintaining it through all the generation cycles. You'd never put much thought into the Clan level as a whole if you're thinking of yourself entirely; but you'd be surprised as how a single member can compromise the entire clan just by being irresponsible for even a moment. Again, not too many people look at the bigger picture like that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:38:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »

Ever heard of Wilderness?  You'll need dosbox to run it, though.  It was designed to be realistic survival, to the point that the dev team included a team of doctors.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 12:57:02 pm »

Certain aspects of HATEmoo could fit what you're looking for. As an abomination or hideous freak you have to pretty much hunt for your food, find water and can't shop unless you have friends to do it for you.
I think zombies have to deal with that as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:59:39 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 04:57:22 am »

Ever heard of Wilderness?  You'll need dosbox to run it, though.  It was designed to be realistic survival, to the point that the dev team included a team of doctors.

Yea, but i couldnt figure out the interface, its runs ok under ntvdm on XP.
Also wich Stalker is beststalker?

Also SS13 is a survival game to a degree, especially when there is a clever traitor onboard or it is flooded with assistants.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 05:03:37 am »

Wurm Online, if you choose to live alone on the PVE world, or in anything but the biggest villages on the PVP world.

One of my favorite quotes about Wurm. "Wurm Online isn't about wilderness survival, it's about being lost in the woods, wandering around starving until you are eaten by wolves."

I've mangled the quote, but I think it gets the point across.

Even better, I think Wurm is getting real avatar and npc graphics soon.  Maybe. "Soon"  heh.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 07:41:53 am »

I notice Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft were mentioned here, but not Terraria or LOVE.  All four games are geomoddable sandboxes.

Also, you might want to take a look at 3059:
http://people.umass.edu/jvight/3059/

It's an old low-end game, but pretty hardcore.  It's basically a real-time roguelike.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:48 am »

You don't deserve to classify games as survival or not until you have played Robinson's Requiem and Deus

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 08:48:03 am »

DF isn't a survival game, it's a highly advanced rapid destruction process resisting simulation.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:23 pm »

I played both Deus and Robinson, and 3059 was also the shit once.

KaneAndTheHumanRace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 06:35:51 pm »

What is LOVE?  Tried to search on google, but the word love is such a common one, I had no luck.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 06:55:38 pm »

What is LOVE?  Tried to search on google, but the word love is such a common one, I had no luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_U6mWu1XQA

Its some pay to play game where you run around in a world like minecraft but with better light effects and better terrain and generally less terrible..

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 02:50:49 am »

It's an indie pay-to-play MMO that has been discussed in this forum before.

http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/video.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]