Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above-ground Fortress layouts  (Read 770 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Above-ground Fortress layouts
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:53:11 am »

I'm starting a new fort after my last dwarfs all died too the Fb's who were still just wondering and pondering through the caverns after 5 years (longest fort and I've been playing for 8 months). So now I come to you to ask what is the best defendible above-ground fortress layout IYO.

I also modded dogs to shoot webs.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Above-ground Fortress layouts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:24:32 am »

First of all, I have one word for you.  LAYERS.

Have multiple layers of defenses, each of which can be separately closed off from the rest of the map - and your fort proper - in case something really bad happens.  It doesn't matter exactly WHAT is in these layers, but at least three separate places where you can close off the fort from the outside before a danger gets in is vital. 
A single drawbridge marking the entrance to your fort is not enough for a defense.  If something sneaks inside the drawbridge, all of your civilians are then exposed to the threat.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:38:09 am »

I love building giant walls and magma moats, but their usually just for show. the best way
to defend your fort is to use traps. But, if you want to challenge yourself, use a long canyon like
hallway.

The most important thing to remember is that, dwarfs outside of your wall won't be defended!
Make sure that woodcutting can be done inside your wall cause goblins love ambushing dwarves
when they're out getting wood.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:46:42 am »

The most important thing to remember is that, dwarfs outside of your wall won't be defended!
Make sure that woodcutting can be done inside your wall cause goblins love ambushing dwarves
when they're out getting wood.
This goes back to my point about layers...  if you create a large room just inside your main defenses but just outside your main fort, it can double as a tree farm and a nice large arena to take care of stragglers after an invasion has passed through your traps/war kittens/marksdwarves.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:46:57 am »

Make it around a volcano and make glass walls (is that even possible?). That way you don't need to cut all those damn trees and you can magmify your gonlinite easily