Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Book Thread: Yes im very serious  (Read 6760 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread: Yes im very serious
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »

By the regligon part?

Nah, I've mostly reconciled myself with religion, and truth to tell, I'm pretty batty about cathedrals.  Absolutely love them.

It's mostly that he writes rather obscure, obtuse short stories that are difficult to understand without a bunch of analysis.  I'm not sure if that's what I'm in the mood for right now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2011, 03:24:35 am »

Speaking of Carthedrals, there is a SF short story by Polish writer Jacek Dukaj bearing the same name. It was only partially translated into English(by the veteran translator Michael Kandel no less, who is responsible for e.g.translating Lem's works). Even in the original, full-length version, and as it is common with Dukaj's books, it's a challenging read, with little to no expository pieces and brimming with a multitude of extremaly hard-sf ideas. The partial translation makes it rather ill suited for appreciative reading. However, there exists a short animated film based on the story, made almost ten years ago by one Tomasz Bagiński, and nominated for, among others, an Academy Award. It is a work of art in its own rights, and the knowledge of the short story is not required to appreciate it. In fact, I have only mentioned where it has come from in this lenghty introduction, so that I could indulge in a little bit of partriotic advertising for the said animated film without worrying too much about it not fitting in the book thread.
The Cathedral

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:44 pm »

The Cathedral

Thank you thank you thank you

<3

Bah, I've tried to find translated Polish novels at my library, and the ONLY thing they have is Tadeusz.  Seriously.  There's an entire big country over there and you've only got one piece of literature and a bunch of really bad movies?  What's up with that?

Oh, well.  Waiting for yardsales and stuff.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2011, 11:28:54 am »

How can you be surprised? Most libraries I've experienced have only a small fraction of things made over here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2011, 12:38:50 pm »

How can you be surprised? Most libraries I've experienced have only a small fraction of things made over here.

Because Poland is important, and if they can carry lots of copies of Mein Kampf and other explorations of Hitler's psychology (seriously, there's an entire bookshelf), then they can carry some great Polish works.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »

Heh, at least you can easily find a copy of Mein Kampf over there. In Poland it's a nearly herculean undertaking, as the state of Bavaria - the owner of the copyrights - pursues legal action against anybody trying to publish this book commercially, while the libraries tend not to have it for whatever reasons(most likely because Hitler was BAD and it's BAD to have his book around).
Of course, some countries' law systems decided that they don't agree with the ownership of the copyrights on some obscure legal grounds, and are publishing to their hearts' content.

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2011, 11:15:42 am »

Currently reading the Ulrika the Vampires serie of nathan long, who also made some of the books in the Gortrek & Felix series.
Glad to be reading a book where the friendly vampires aren't gay and/or sparkly like in Twilight

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2011, 11:19:55 am »

Currently reading Franz Kafka's The Trial.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]