Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FUCKING GEMS!  (Read 4847 times)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FUCKING GEMS!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 09:02:52 pm »

Gems? A problem? What kind of dwarf are you?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »

@uncool: spider webs are nearly unrenewable as well, since the only way to get more is to find a GCS and lure it to a dwarf so that it webs it. Some strange moods request silk as well, and those may be near impossible if all of the webs are already harvested. . . . . . .anyways, get that stockpile built and lined with flashing windows stat

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »

I personally like to save my gems, because of a rarely-noticed fact:

Uncut gems are the one and only unrenewable resource in the game.

Not to forget stone.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »

Stone can be imported at a low but still measurable rate.  So can cut gems.  But no one sells uncut gems.  You can also buy silk from the caravans.  Uncut gems are the only thing that is never replaced.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 11:09:09 pm »

Absolutely everything else (that I can think of) can either be regrown or traded for, but you will always eventually run out of gems by moods.
You'd have to run a fort for a very long time indeed for this to be a potential problem.

Some kinds of rock are unavailable depending on location, but as far as I know all mandate-making nobles right now are either appointed by the player or can be replaced. Shells are another nasty one, though I've never seen a shell mood in .25.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:23 pm »

Gems? A problem? What kind of dwarf are you?
Heh. One of those few despised ones...an organizer
@uncool: spider webs are nearly unrenewable as well, since the only way to get more is to find a GCS and lure it to a dwarf so that it webs it. Some strange moods request silk as well, and those may be near impossible if all of the webs are already harvested. . . . . . .anyways, get that stockpile built and lined with flashing windows stat
You are correct; I should have specified a moodable item. However, the threads and cloth are renewable via trade.
I personally like to save my gems, because of a rarely-noticed fact:

Uncut gems are the one and only unrenewable resource in the game.

Not to forget stone.
Stone is renewable in multiple ways.

If you only need generic stone, mix magma and water. If you need a specific stone, then you can trade another renewable resource with your civilization for it (albeit rather slowly at 4 a year).

Absolutely everything else (that I can think of) can either be regrown or traded for, but you will always eventually run out of gems by moods.
You'd have to run a fort for a very long time indeed for this to be a potential problem.
I'm generally a slow planner for my forts; nearly all of them are designed to follow some goal (e.g. make a megapyramid encompassing the entire map, survive on a glacier/volcano map and obsidianize hell, etc.)
Some kinds of rock are unavailable depending on location, but as far as I know all mandate-making nobles right now are either appointed by the player or can be replaced. Shells are another nasty one, though I've never seen a shell mood in .25.
I'm still playing on 31.18, and haven't seen any shell anything since 31.12 or so.
=Uncool-

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 07:05:29 am »

I've done very little digging in a 35-year fort and still have dozens of rough gems. It's never had more than a hundred dwarves, sure, and moods actually stopped for a while, but after reading the descriptions of 57 moods I see 44 mentions of gems. Some of those are going to have used cut gems (should have not counted the star rubies and other major rarities... well I'm not doing it again), but even assuming all those are rough gems then that's still a pretty low number.

Gems are also exempt from the mineral scarcity setting, if I remember right.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 07:39:55 am »

That, and raw glass is an uncut gem and will satisfy mood requirements.
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 09:15:13 am »

although glass demands in moody dwarves are seperate and different from rough gem demands...
This is a blank sig.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 12:04:29 pm »

In response to OP, I think you should just hoard them all.
In response to the title, I ask: How do they work?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 04:30:58 pm »

I'm still playing on 31.18, and haven't seen any shell anything since 31.12 or so.
=Uncool-

Only dwarves with a preference for shells use it in their moods now and it seems to be fairly rare to have a dwarf that likes shell.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 08:01:10 am »

With the amount of gems you have there, I'm tempted to say that they are, indeed, fucking.

Hahaha!  To the Raws!!!!.....to mod an entity that's made of gems,breeds like cats and is butcherable for rough gems...
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.
Pages: 1 [2]