Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood material pickiness  (Read 949 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood material pickiness
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:38:59 pm »

Some questions regarding strange moods:

1) When a moody dwarf wants a metal bar/gem/etc, when will just any bar/gem/etc do, and when will it have to be of exactly a certain material?  According to the wiki, only metal workers demand an exact material.

2) What effect do material preferences have on this?  According to the wiki, preferences only affect the metal desired by metal workers.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood material pickiness
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:47:32 pm »

should be right.  i've not had a dwarf refusing a material because he did not have a preference for it, but mood ingredients come in a specific order.  if you are missing a material in the middle of the list, you must give the moody dwarf access to it for him to continue further down the list.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »

There appears to be zero preferences.  The only preferences that matter are shells, as they generate shell-requiring moods, and the item type.  If your weaponsmith likes axes, then he'll almost always produce an axe through a mood.  This is why some people go out of their way to find a dwarf who likes maces, and ensures they get a mood when platinum is near.  Platinum maces kick ass.  An unrelated mood, such as an armorsmith who has no likes for any particular piece of armor, appears to be random.

Materials make no difference.  This is why you get armor made of gold and swords made of tin, because any material of the same type is as good as any other for a mood.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »

Occasionally metalsmith dwarves will only pick their metal for preferences. But I've only had one in my entire fortress dwelling life. It's quite rare.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »

1. Yes, just metalworkers.

2. Material preferences. Be warned, though, that once you discover raw adamantine and start extracting/smelting it, metalsmiths may decide that their artifact absolutely must be made of Adamantine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:23:03 pm »

2. Material preferences. Be warned, though, that once you discover raw adamantine and start extracting/smelting it, metalsmiths may decide that their artifact absolutely must be made of Adamantine.

If you mine out some raw adamantine and use it to make a statue, does that trigger metalsmiths demanding adamantine wafers?

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »

my mood dorfs only make high boots and swords made out of platinum
or
maces and hammers out of adamantine/aluminum

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 12:12:59 am »

If I recall correctly, dwarves *will* use their preferred material if it's available, but they will not put off making their artifact adamantine plate mail because of a lack of pitchblende or something; if they have a material preference that is unavailable in that fort (or forbidden), they will take the nearest thing.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 01:07:39 am »

1. Yes, just metalworkers.

if only i had the patience to screencap all of my trade good artifacts that have wasted my precious adamantine.  then again, it's not like i'm using it for that much now that i've got the military "candy coated".  i'll admit, building the king's bedroom wall out of the stuff might be a little bit extravagant, nor  likely the smartest use of the material either.  then again, i doubt all the king's furniture needs to be made of the blue metal either.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time