Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War kittens?  (Read 761 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
War kittens?
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:20 pm »

Okay, so I admit. DF has gotten to me. Real bad. I've probably played 70% of every 24 hour cycle for 1~ week. Im deprived of sleep. When I go to sleep, I fall asleep to DF LPs and the last thing I hear before my aching back from sitting cramped up in front of the computer relaxes and lets me sleep, is some logically distant voice talking about goblin sieges and magma. 

Learning about certain bugs and development that hasnt taken place, I decided to fix the grieving error of exotic pets not being in. I've edited my \data\save\region16\raw\objects for the creatures I have so far encountered, plus creatures I want to encounter (Dragon, Hydra).

I've noticed that animal men [COPY_TAGS] or something from the mundane animal type they are based on. So am I supposed to put in [PET][TRAINABLE] for both the original creature and the animal man creature to make both pet and trainable? Thats what I've done now, gonna load up my save and see if it works.

Anyways. Cats. Can you train them to war kittens?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: War kittens?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »

Add [TRAINABLE] or [TRAINABLE_WAR] to cats to get War Cats. The former will net you Hunting Cats as well.
Be warned that they aren't all that great in battle, but there you go.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »

finally a use for the results of a catsplosion! well besides overflowing your stockpiles with =Kitten roasts=
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:35:18 pm »

Okay, I am running into problems with panda men and panda women now.

I have sucessfully tamed them and assigned them to a pasture. Ive tried assigning to a chain, to a cage.

But everytime I queue up the job "Train hunting animal" or "War animal" it says: Cancels Train Hunting/War animal: No creature. I've checked the tags, it has trainable and trainable_war. Whats going on here? I must be slipping somewhere because I've never been able to train a dog either. Whats going on?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

Don't pasture, cage, or chain them. They need to be roaming free, but still tame.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Hypotheses

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRAIGHT_FACE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »

Don't pasture, cage, or chain them. They need to be roaming free, but still tame.

They can be pastured if the kennel is inside their assigned pasture.  I use this trick frequently to avoid having my breeding pair of cave crocs accidentally assigned to front line duty. Just pasture the ones I want to save elsewhere and put everything I want trained in with the kennel.
Your brownies can be my skin graft.