Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How should I build my temple?  (Read 568 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
How should I build my temple?
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »

Hey.
I recently found myself having acquired two statues of Idek Acezeniths the High Control, the deity of discipline depicted as a female dwarf and a dwarf in gold. The dwarf is prostrating itself before Idek Acezeniths the High Control.

So I figure, I can do two things with this. I can set up both statues at the entrance to my workshop area, because that makes sense. OR, I can have some fun and create a massive temple district.
At the moment, my districts aren't too inventive. You walk in and pass by two rooms on the way to the depot, these rooms are training rooms which have windows overlooking the first hallway (which was channeled out to be two z-levels down). You pass through the trade depot, and to the left are ramps leading down to a farm and to the right are ramps leading to the mainhallway. The main hallway has a bunch of workshops connected to it, and also a wide open dining hall surrounded by a raised perimeter containing food stockpiles (reached by ramp). Most workshops have a cellar that connects to a narrow corridor that eventually leads to the hauler quarters.
By going north from the main hallway, you can reach the living area of anyone of worth which is just a 4-wide hallway with 5x5 bedrooms attached. This eventually leads to another lowered hallway containing the captain's office, the jails, the hospital, and apartment blocks for my military and doctor dwarves.
I intend to eventually have this set up naturally breach the caverns, and then I'll build houses into the cave walls.

Where should this temple/temple area go? What should it contain? How should I ensure that it's actually temple-like?
I can make display cases for my four or five artifacts, but I'd need to get an actual ash/glass industry going first. Constant strife and building has prevented that.

Also, does anyone know of any deities of Discipline and solely discipline? Preferably Goddesses? I can use temples that have been built to them, if any remain in the modern age, as inspiration I guess.
Athena crossed my mind, but she's more wisdom and warfare than strictly Discipline.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: How should I build my temple?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »

you could put chains cages and restraints around, have your captain of the guard live there and make it your jail ? perhaps a few danger rooms for punishment purposes...some kind of magma based execution system ?  have a squad of female dwarfs barracks'd there weilding whips at all times...

to make it temple like, you could mine out a large cube and construct the temple as a separate building within your fort..i usually go for some kind of a Aztec alike pyramid set up myself hollowed out with a smaller pyramid on the inside with the best throne I can construct on top...
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:00:09 pm »

How about a sacrificial magma reservoir to throw offerings into? Make the room plated in precious metals. Make all your priests/holy men wear metal masks to show they're a part of the clergy.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »

How do you manufacture metal masks?  I only ever saw them in arena mode.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »

I like these ideas. I didn't think of "discipline" in the sense you're using it, but now that I notice that "Control" is in the Goddesses' title, it really does make sense that her temple would be the seat of the fortresses government's power, or at least the judicial branch...which is practically all of it.

Pan, you can either get masks off of goblins if you're lucky or you can edit the raws so that they're allowed. Though I think editing the raws to add items in that manner requires a regen.
I'll have to check and see if I've already melted all my goblinite masks, if I even had any to begin with.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.