Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nothing to see but an intro  (Read 1579 times)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
Nothing to see but an intro
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:46:03 pm »

Hiya,

First post here. My cat, Anom,  made me send money to the Toad and said I could post here and be bad at it. (I never post anywhere, really, so I should be bad at it.)

That was my intro. I tried to search for intro posts, for a few seconds, and found none. Blah.

So, then. On to dorfy things.

I have a nice fortress running. I turned off seiges using the LNP, (I'm only two moons in playing,) and have a nice breach into the 1st set of caverns. My 6 squads do well enough. (Sometimes, there is an idiot child that plays where idiot childs should not play, but I babble and a child does what it does.)

I have lost, errrrm, had fun 7? times before. Had a tantrum spiral. Had a lone dorf that failed miserably, (No Urist McUrist, I, I was unskilled, and there was no way to even try to get that working, though the famous story inspired me to fail well,) and have been lucky enough to only flood one room, (And I knew it would happen, and even tried to dig a hole to stop it, but a thirsty dwarf that wants water and has 3 other wells and 498 drinks will still go to the one well that'll flood a dining room, of course.) In proper fashion, I enjoyed that. No one even died, though Urist McThirsty lost a hand.

Anywhat. I had been telling my liason that we prefer to be alone, as it were. This year I decided, [after saving the game and thinking I will regret this,] to allow us to be part of the Mountainhome. And to be clear, I have donated stuff, made fine Gneiss Block Roads to 3 edges, (It'd look awkward to have a road to the west,) so as to be all blue on the n-c (nobles, capital) screen.

So, I get a Queen. Now, I just this moment received her, and see the need for 10 chests and 5 each of armour stand and weapon racks. No worries. A grand set of rooms have been carved, the walls smoothed, the walls are almost finished being masterfully engraved. She will have her requirements. (I have six stone detailers, which is far too many, but I admitted I babble.)

The question is this, and I know the answer I think, should I keep her, (i.e. not reload,) and because I keep her, at what point should I plan her accident? The mayor has been good, except for asking for raw glass things, so it is possible I can manage having a Grande Dame unless she starts asking for cat teeth or somesuch.

That, and what exactly constitutes a "royal" anything?

Oh, and, welcome to the forums. (I think that is what you should say, but I already admitted I don't do this much.)

I don't really want answers as much as it seems. This is just an intro.

connull
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

korvanos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing to see but an intro
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »

i find fulfilling their ludicrous demands adds more challenge, so don't kill her.  I'm not sure what expense value qualifies as royal, but if you need to get closer, decorate some furniture with jewels and stud it with metal, it'll add a lot of value.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »

Things like that can be found on the wiki, if you really need it.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Room#Quality

Also, welcome. Please leave your sanity on the doorstep.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »

It escapes me at the moment, but I think in order for a room to qualilfy as royal it needs stuff in it (including engravings and internal doors) worth around 20,000. So really easy to over-do things and have a pissed off duke or count or baron because your current mayor (or manager, maybe) has appartments he or she is unworthy of or something. Queens and Kings are not supposed to really work in 31.25, I am afraid, so she's not going to trouble you much. I'd make her throne room her tomb, just saying..

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:10:46 am »

Thanks, thanks.

There is no sanity I possess to be left at any doorstep, so... Check.

I thank you for referring me to the wiki, and I have been using it since I found the game, though that advice will never go out of style.

So far, everything is okay. I have to report that she has everything she wants, for now.

The Royal Mausoleum is 3x10 with 2 statues, a masterful mica statue and an exceptional granite statue, and Alathtashem, a purple spinel coffer, menacing with spikes of purple spinel.
There is also a masterful diorite coffin. It is fully engraved by legendary blokes. I think it was the artifact, of course, but whatever. Something made HRH like it enough.

The rest of her rooms are full of statues, armor stands, weapon racks, 4 beds, 6 tables/chairs. About overkill or just the amount she wants, you decide.

As per the throne room being her tomb, that has the air of dorfiness to it - and she has a rather large extra room that as of yet has no purpose. Hmm...
But it does seem, according to ffaerie, that there is no urgent need to plan such things. (And if I am not mistaken, that should translate to; "So I am planning for that.")

So, back to my digging, as I have to make sure my military isn't getting bored.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse, good sir!

And remember, as long as it is overly-complex, serves no clear purpose, has potential to backfire, involves magma and blood was shed in it's making, then it is dwarfy (and Fun!)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:54:06 pm »

Things like that can be found on the wiki, if you really need it.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Room#Quality

Also, welcome. Please leave your sanity on the doorstep.
Er...was I supposed to do that when I came in here?
[shifty eyes]
I mean, of course I'm insane!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 09:11:55 pm »

One trick I used in a tower fort with constrained dimensions (no rooms outside of the tower diameter above or below grounds) is to use your general mausoleum as a noble's tomb, include the entire floor as part of the tomb and the other graves add value to it and turn the whole thing into a wonderful effect.