Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You gotta love the dwarves.  (Read 1416 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You gotta love the dwarves.
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

A goblin thief was seen. IN THE DINING ROOM. Full of dwarves. Hungry dwarves. Angry dwarves. He was standing IN THE MIDDLE of the dining room table. Like. "Hey guys, what are we eating?"

In my legendary dining room, we don't have goblins. Something had to be done. A farmer, a fisherman and a peasant sat and watched this charade. They were drafted. Suddenly filled with rage that a GOBLIN could be in their dining room (Considering only eight dwarves have bedrooms, they protect it pretty closely.) they all jumped onto the table with him and broke every bone in his body, then killed him. There was blood all over the tables. A goblin corpse sat on the table as the three recruits went back to their normal professions. They sat down and finished their meals as a bleeding goblin corpse was on the table, blood splattered over the half consumed food. No one was the slightest bit disturbed.

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You gotta love the dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

Well, awesome. Just wonder how the hell that goblin suddenly popped in the middle of your dining hall =D
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

A lot of my dwarves have some wrestling skill; the initial eight are novices, the others have varying skills (mostly no less then dabbling...)

Yeah, it's bizarre that it snuck in there. Did he plan to steal a table? A throne? Or a statue? That'd be subtle.

Despite my awesome moat of doom they've been popping up everywhere. Thankfully since most of my dwarves are battle ready, they hop up and beat the threat to death. If I get a real siege soon, I have a "screw the world" (TM) flood system in place, but I only plan to use it as an emergency device.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

in one fort, all the kobolds always ran to the same square.  i dont know if they were trying to steal the same item, or what.

i had enough traffic at the front enterance that they would always be spotted, but their goal seemed to be to cross the river, go through the trade depot, take the bridge over the channel into the adjoining finished goods room, and head for the northwest corner of that room.  i checked, there wasnt anything of special value in the bin in that square.

might have just been how they pathed when 'running from danger'.

was wierd.

usually, they seem to try to steal the most valueable things.  like artifacts.  not with that fort.  it was always the exact same square.  they'd go stand on it until the dogs caught up with them.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

I think this just reinforces the fact that Kobolds are morons.

Sorry Kobold Quest, but it's true! Anyone that both throws bugs at heavily armed adventurers AND breaks into a fort solo against 118 dwarves has questionable mental strength.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

The last thief I had crossed the outdoor river, took a mitten from the corpse of a dead merchant (died fighting mooses ~5 years ago) and ran back out.

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>the others have varying skills (mostly no less then dabbling...)</STRONG>

If they have the skills, then no doubt their level isn't below dabbling  :p
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:23:00 am »

Hey Kobold!! We don't take kindely to your kind around here.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

Ignore that bit of senseless from me, Slartibartfast! =)

Ha! Not only did he take something worthless, but something probably destroyed with age and it wasn't even yours to begin with! Man, that is one bad-ass Kobold!

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

puke, that's the square you surround with eight weapon traps.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »

"Not often food pops up on your table like that, eh?"

"Nope - Kinda nice, I think."

"Mm, needs salt."

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Eagle:
<STRONG>puke, that's the square you surround with eight weapon traps.</STRONG>

Inefficient. Four.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
<STRONG>"Not often food pops up on your table like that, eh?"

"Nope - Kinda nice, I think."

"Mm, needs salt."</STRONG>

Kobolds are poisonous... I know this from my Stone Soup "Survey of the Dungeon" game, where I butchered and ate every monster I came across to determine if they were edible or not. Kobolds were not. My adventurer died, Kobold meat spilling from his frothing mouth...

forum Additional: 'Though, I note that the thief in the dining room was a Goblin. Goblins are edible for the most part!

I enter a room. A goblin is there.
The Goblin raises his sword and prepares for battle!
Me: BERZERKER MODE!
Goblin quakes with fear.
In the ensuing carnage the goblin is slaughtered and butchered into small pieces with an axe.
I sit on a pile of gore chomping pensively on goblin flesh satisfied with a job well done.

That's pretty much how every encounter I have in Stone Soup turns out   :)

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: LSTAR ]

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

Stone Soup?

Is this another game or am I missing something?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

I think Stone Soup might be referring to the variant of Linley's Dungeon Crawl, a Roguelike:
http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/

I played Crawl, and it was good, but I never got time to play it enough, then I forgot about it! Whoops!