Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to get back into the game...  (Read 1118 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Looking to get back into the game...
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:38:40 pm »

... But I don't know where to start. Any tips? I mean, I don't want a megaproject... Just a good place for a fort. Somewhere interesting. Any tips for Biomes? Terrain? A goal? embark materials? Embark Animals?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to get back into the game...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »

Avoid the ducks and guineafowl. For the same cost and setup, chickens, geese, turkeys, and peafowl are much better choices for birds.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »

A forest biome with plenty of trees makes for an easy/fun "early game." Wooden beds, barrels, furniture, etc. are useful and contribute to fortress happiness.

Then you can build a wood furnace and get charcoal and ash for setting up various industries.

Forests also have plenty of food through hunting, plant gathering, etc. :)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:16 pm »

Find a valley. Even better, a river valley. That can be pretty interesting.

If you haven't done so recently, you may want to try a terrifying embark. Make sure you bring a military.

If you want something calm... don't play DF! Actually, embarking most places - generic forest or plains - would be a nice welcome-back, if you want one. Pretty boring biome, though.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:04 pm »

Somewhere evil and tropical, you might get skeletal honey badgers.

For embark animals, read up on the new grazer rules. Alpacas are probably you're best bet, though.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »

For embark animals, read up on the new grazer rules. Alpacas are probably you're best bet, though.
Sheep are actually better. They can be milked, sheared, and graze less than alpacas.
I only remember this because i got schoolfed about alpacas. :'(
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »

on grazers avoid yaks, they keep showing up in my game and dying on me, better to butcher them to avoid the can't butcher bug
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:01:22 pm »

on grazers avoid yaks, they keep showing up in my game and dying on me, better to butcher them to avoid the can't butcher bug
Can't butcher bug? Are you talking about the fact that you can't butcher animals that starve to death? I didn't know that was a confirmed bug. I'd really like a fix for that.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:28 pm »

I think it falls more into the area of "This should work this way" than "This is a broken feature".
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:49 pm »

Just think about it for a minute, and it should become clear why butchering an animal which has starved to death is not possible.  At most you would get some skin and bones, but not too much in the way of meat...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:52 pm »

Just think about it for a minute, and it should become clear why butchering an animal which has starved to death is not possible.  At most you would get some skin and bones, but not too much in the way of meat...
bones

That's the point.

We can butcher skeletons of animals that died for various reasons for bones, but not skeletons of animals that died of starvation for bones. Also I, probably amongst others, don't want a big, red, angry H for Horse Skeleton befouling my scenic refuse dump of vermin corpses.