Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unhappy army  (Read 967 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Unhappy army
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »

Any tips for keeping my military dwarves happy? They seem to be unhappy from being relieved from duty and long patrol duty at the same time, ALL the time! I have them on an every other month training schedule, with 8 training at a time. They kill plump helmet men, troglodytes, and various other wildlife frequently. I just dont want one of them to tantrum and destroy my fortress. I have a Great dining room, and a good quality training area. Any tips would be appreciated.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Unhappy army
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »

Setting it so that 10 train at a time should prevent the "Removed from duty" thing.
Hearsay is that when they're skilled enough they won't mind long patrol duty, but I've had entire squads of legendaries continue to complain about such things.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:15:44 pm »

So I should keep it every other month for the training schedule, but crank it up to 10 at a time?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »

Ooh. Didn't see that it was every other month.
Crank it up to ten and have it every month. They can't get an unhappy thought from going off duty if it never happens.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

I think I read some where that they will train therselves to death, so im gonna do that and keep a close eye on them.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:20:46 pm »

They won't anymore. They take breaks to get food and drinks now. If you have enough backpacks and waterskins, the breaks are less frequent.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 02:23:15 pm »

Good. I can out fit my army with kitten leather backpacks. I like.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 02:42:47 pm »

Don't train them all the time! That will give them the "infuriated by long duty" thought, honestly keeping military happy is not that big a deal--ok they'll tantrum sometimes and maybe murder someone--no big deal. 

1. Traumatize them--drop pets goblin whatever from high above
2. Traumatize them--have them kill anything you catch
3.  Big rooms, good food, nice tomb
4.  Let 'em tantrum
I like year round 7/10 training on 10 dwarf squads, always end up with legendaries in a couple of years. Happy legendaries.  Unhappy legendaries, btw can be a fantastic source of !!fun!!.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 02:53:56 pm »

Im going to give them all epic tombs as well.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 06:41:04 pm »

Any tips for keeping my military dwarves happy? They seem to be unhappy from being relieved from duty and long patrol duty at the same time, ALL the time! I have them on an every other month training schedule, with 8 training at a time. They kill plump helmet men, troglodytes, and various other wildlife frequently. I just dont want one of them to tantrum and destroy my fortress. I have a Great dining room, and a good quality training area. Any tips would be appreciated.

Make sure you have a legendary dining room and plenty of varied alcohol. Give them all private bedrooms with a bed, cabinet and chest. And what others suggested. Capture enemies and make a fighting pit below your animal stockpile. Pit the goblins down to your waiting militia. They gain xp and eventually become so emotionally detached nothing will move them.

Oh and if you do go for a captain of the guard set the jail up with chains 1 square from food and booze stockpiles. Make the room legendary. They'll become rehabilitated to be so happy it shouldn't likely happen again.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:42:45 pm by Lexx »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 06:42:05 pm »

Give them all some time on the screw pumps. It raises their physical stats somewhat without consuming any materials beyond those used for the screw pump, but mostly it's good for making them 1. not peasants when deactivated, and 2. easier to find on the unit list when deactivated, since they'll all be listed as Pump Operators and not Lye Makers or Pressers or whatever their nominal profession is.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.