Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sight range and job cancellation  (Read 403 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sight range and job cancellation
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:24:14 am »

As the title says what's the unobstructed distance a hostile has to be from a dwarf before the dwarf will freak out and bolt? Also does this work with a falling hostile? The reason I ask is because I'm building an execution tower that will have the sacrifice falling 50z levels right through the middle of my fort. I'm considering putting statue gardens right next to where the fall path is so my dwarves can party and watch gobbos plunge screaming into the depths and I'm wondering if, every time a goblin falls past, will the dwarves cancel their party?
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Sight range and job cancellation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:27:30 am »

I think I did something like this with a dining room, I don't think dwarves flee from falling or thrown units.

Just to be safe though, put statues all the way around the hole, they look nice, give happiness and you can have more parties. Best of all your dwarves cannot see through them.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:43:34 am »

Actually I was kind of hoping it would cause cancellation. I can't think of a better fortress wide alert system than a screaming goblin falling 50 stories to his death.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:06 am »

Falling creatures are effectively in hyperspace - they don't interact with anything until they stop falling, and they don't cause job cancellations.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.