Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting the circus  (Read 877 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting the circus
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »

I want to hear clown slaying stories

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:13:00 pm by MrShovelFace »

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Hell
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »

Also, spoiler that title for the less advanced players would you please?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06:07 pm »

Or better yet, replace the four letter word with "Circus", and the five letter word with "Clown"
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:12:48 pm »

It's possible. Clowns are large creatures with lots of natural combat skill, but they aren't invincible. Legends or near-legends in masterwork steel or candy armor can defeat them one one one easily, and even three or four on one with luck. Given that there's only ~50-80 demons in the initial wave, you might even be able to outnumber them if you have a very large army. Also, at least some of those will be made of undefined materials, like grime, snow, or ash, and will thus be extremely fragile, to the extent where you can probably cut the number of "effective" demons in half.

Of course, there are other problems involving meeting the clowns head-on. First, you're more-or-less certain to have part or all of your military afflicted by various nasty syndromes that might take them out even if they manage to survive the actual conflict. Then there's fire demons, who explode into a cloud of hellfire which is far hotter than the sun when killed. One such burst could wipe out your entire military, and if there's one fire demon, there's probably more than one. Unfortunately, crossbowdwarves aren't as effective against the flesh-and-blood or defined-material clowns as one would like, so you can't entirely rely on them to take out the whole host from ranged safety. Basically, you're sure to lose dwarves in a clown encounter. The question is, do you lose more than you can afford? That's uncertain.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »

i was more or less wanting to hear tales about how people accomplished that. No obvious answers like cave ins and 50000000000 rock fall traps but more.. creative ways of killing demons such as oidunno causing a water current to sweep clown into an obsidian encasing machine or creating a giant ice cube out the their entire army at once. Perhaps pitting the clown horde against the most terrifying creature the world has to offer (such as forgotten beasts composed of candy and his 5 twin brothers)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:14:09 pm by MrShovelFace »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:39:38 pm »

Demons are big, strong, have a huge initial attack, and come in a lot of varieties. They are usually dangerous, even if they lack something like fire breath, but sometimes you get flimsy ones like steam (you can alter how many demon types in advanced world gen). All clowns are magma immune and can breathe in magma and water, as well as fly.

A huge repeating spike corridor works, just so long as you have plenty of dwarves on standby to keep pulling the lever and the demons cant fly over it. Obsidianizing and cave-ins will do damage, but rarely kill all of them. A super beefed-up military with a cleaning trench behind them (for messes and fires) can be effective.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:00:36 pm »

I would just have the spike traps activated by a pressure plate and put the pressure plate on one of the two entrances to my massive storage room, and install a lever which would open another entrance to the storage room and close the path with the pressure plate so that it could be turned off.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:09:55 pm »

They are also trap immune, so pressure plates and weapon traps do not work. Repeating spike traps do, however.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11:25 pm »

Demons are big, strong, have a huge initial attack, and come in a lot of varieties. They are usually dangerous, even if they lack something like fire breath, but sometimes you get flimsy ones like steam (you can alter how many demon types in advanced world gen). All clowns are magma immune and can breathe in magma and water, as well as fly.

A huge repeating spike corridor works, just so long as you have plenty of dwarves on standby to keep pulling the lever and the demons cant fly over it. Obsidianizing and cave-ins will do damage, but rarely kill all of them. A super beefed-up military with a cleaning trench behind them (for messes and fires) can be effective.
again im not looking for help, im legitimately wanting to hear people's experiences with the richest kind of fun

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting the circus
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:38:01 am »

I wonder if it's possible to obsidianize the entire circus so none could spawn?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"