Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Heaven  (Read 1010 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! Heaven
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:14:14 pm »

Now, before you start reading, I'd like to note that I did not just create a giant magma-spouting megaproject that's a full region tile and involves elves sitting on constructed trees being flooded by hostile rhesus macaques and the works.

So - I've recently been thinking. You want to test a design, correct? This design will, most probably, chug a load of FPS or even bring down a tantrum spiral and give you lots of Fun, yet !!SCIENCE!! won't really be satisfied with the results. Why not create a separate fort, that we can put on DFFD, which we simply load from the pack every time we want to test a new design? Sure, such a thing would need basically everything on a silver plate to work properly, so the old Dwarf Heaven embarks would be nice. But what I guess we'd really want here is a pre-made fort build with pure efficency in mind which is more or less defensible and has enough of a workforce to get our plans done. I have no idea whenever I'm getting my message clear enough, but - anyone in?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Heaven
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:02:36 pm »

It could work... except when newer versions come out it should be remade every time.

If The Toad made a physics simulator similar to The Arena, that would be better.

All in due time.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

Yeah, I really wish there was a way to enter dwarf-mode functionality in the Arena as well as spectator-God-mode and adventure-ish-mode. It would be fantastic for testing custom reactions and workshops, for instance.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 03:58:12 pm »

Wouldn't making it easy sort of defeat the purpose?

I've done a number of projects myself, but the whole fun in them is getting the entire fort up to the point where you can try your crazy scheme. It makes the payoff when it works or the hilarity when it fails miserably and sets the world on fire all the sweeter.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »

There's a difference between "Does it work?" and "Does it work with 100 insane dwarves and two dozen building destroyers on the loose?"

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

SirSpence99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:10:07 pm »

Exactly. "Does it work?" is not as Fun as the latter.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:54:46 pm »

"Does it work?" is !!Science!!
"Does it work in real-life conditions?" is !!Engineering!!
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »

1) we need a regular-size embark area with all the comodities.... that is quite difficult...
2) we need modular designs for every industry, that we can set up and control easily....

For example a carpenter's module, where you have separate stockpile space for all kinds of wood, and you can set up a carpenter's burrow and control access to the different woods by locking a door/hatch... so by locking/unlocking doors you can control what kind of wood your carpenter uses...