Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blizzard men got you down?  (Read 1354 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blizzard men got you down?
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:37:59 pm »

Make a squad with picks.
no more blizzard men.

Aslong as there are atleast two dwarves taking the bastard on, the blizzard man will always die. Fighting only lasts about a second before he is just picked to little bits in the snow. Im begining to like picks more and more, and whats better, is that i have my entire military mining aswell. The mining keeps them fit for the fighting.
anyone else use picks?
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard men got you down?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:00:33 pm »

When I find one, I send a hammerdwarf in, get them to legendary, then send in the swords.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »

Picks are one of the best weapons. They puncture through armour like candy through copper.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:07:17 pm »

Looking at the stats, the pick is a pretty fair weapon:
Pick: Size 500, contact 100, velocity 2x
Spear: Size 400, contact 20, velocity 1x
Sword (stab): Size 300, contact 50, velocity 1x

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:13:31 pm »

Picks have a single, well-rounded attack so they are versatile like swords, but without the chance for a stupid pommel strike. And you don't need to waste candy on them because they actually perform best when made from steel.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:00:53 pm »

Wow. . . .and I thought my squad of swordsdwarfs was bad ass. How about a squad of MINERS!!1

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »

Wow. . . .and I thought my squad of swordsdwarfs was bad ass. How about a squad of MINERS!!1
You just might want to find a way to counteract the increasingly bad thoughts associated with the draft and long patrol duty. Mining is a civilian job, after all.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:04 pm »

How about a legendary dining room for my dorfs?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:40 pm »

There's one bad thing about miners, they'll almost always die if they are unarmoured. Picks are good weapons but they are slow compared to most others. Or at least that's what appears to be the case.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »

My current fortress is drowning in iron, so armor shouldont be a problem.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »

This actually is what I generally do. I start with 7 proficient miners, get them up to legendary as quickly as possible, and let them simply destroy everything around. It works for all non-crossbow goblins, as long as there are around double the number of goblins as there are miners or fewer, even unarmored. I've even destroyed several polar bears and ice wolves this way, not receiving even a single wound.
=Uncool-

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:22:43 pm »

I had a full ambush of swordsgobs and a master swords gob chase a legendary miner around for several minutes, by the time my military got out there there was only severed goblin parts and a very happy legendary miner.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 09:36:06 pm »

I love to think about the plight of the outdoor miner during an ambush.

Urist McMiner is running around screaming.  He's shouting at the top of his lungs, a single drawn out note that echoes over the hills and fortress walls - which he's too terrified to run to.  Behind him, by only a few steps, is an entire squad of sword-wielding greenskins.  They're faster.  They're closing in, inch by inch.  The miner's zone of safety is ever shrinking, though his running speed never slows.  Finally they catch him, the closest iron sword sweeping down.  It hits the ground as the miner dodges, and the arm holding the sword hits the ground as the ≡Steel Pick≡ makes a single clean swing through the gnarled green limb.  The miner has never stopped screaming as he flees in a completely different direction this time.