Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30542 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #360 on: July 13, 2011, 02:24:40 pm »

Quite the opposite.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2011, 02:39:01 am »

Hmm an undead fort. So is it being reclaimed or savescummed to before it got mauled?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2011, 05:07:51 pm »

Aww, too bad this died. I believe additional micromanagement and slowing down work from job restrictions is what killed this fort. I wasn't even dwarfed, but I read the "What would you like to do in a Dwarven fortress" thread.

Well, I don't think this idea for a community fort is going to work, and Dwarfed people restricting jobs on their Dwarfs turned out to be a bad idea. I however see a few lessons for any such future attempts:

* During the first one or two years with few Dwarfs to go around overseer gets a lot of slack in assigning additional labors to Dwarfs. The point of the thread that started this fort was that nearly everyone would go for a risk averse behavior, not that people aren't OK with being a plant gatherer and hauler for first few seasons.

* Use embark cheats point optimization to full advantage. We want to be safe fast.

* Hauling everything is enabled by default unless otherwise stated, or primary job is too important to waste time. Otherwise overseer can manipulate hauling as needed.

* Disabling any labor on anyone is OK, as practiced in this thread.

* If somebody moods out and hits legendary, that profession gets enabled unless Dwarfed person protests.

* Don't use complex workshop assignments to specific Dwarfs. Assignment by skill is OK.

* Spreadsheet should have preferences for skills rather than yes/no.

* Overseer can take a partial turn if unable to finish within a week or ask for another week. After two weeks save has to be uploaded, or next person uses the old save. Next person can choose to play the reminder of his predecessors turn as well as his own turn, a partial turn or anything in between. 

* Major disasters allow using older save.

* Strict animal husbandry policy is to be enforced. I recommend quickly killing everything but war animals and cats. These spies of elves were trampling Dwarfs to their deaths! Animal explosion was bad for FPS in 31.18, but is catastrophic for everyone in 31.25.

* Go easy on mega-project ambitions and complex designs. Keep everything simple. Even basic aquifer technology seems too much for non-veteran overseers. I for example played a few forts for a year, but still prefer old good lever on repeat to attempts at using fluid logic.

* You can get away with a lot as long as no Dwarfs die. This is the primary purpose of this challenge. Maybe don't turtle and DR, as that is just too easy, but:

- Critical labors may be enforced, like the only person any good at setting bones gets that job automatically.

- Migrants with high abilities in "safe" skills should keep them enabled if reasonable for fortress survival.

- Similar jobs, like {lye, potash and soap maker} or {butcher, fish cleaner} can all be enabled if one of them is enabled on a Dwarf.

- Enabling something generally safe, like smoothing stone, or work in a workshop should be OK on anyone.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]