Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An unreachable corpse, a reserved coffin, and a violent ghost  (Read 749 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

In another thread recently, I said how my hunter drowned in the river and got washed up into my water storage room. He had a coffin reserved as soon as he died, but since I couldn't reach the corpse, I couldn't bury the body. And further, the coffin is in an area where it is now flooded, so it cannot be reached. Additionally, all those coffins which are now flooded have been claimed by more dead things, which since the flood, have been just that hunter and a bunch of pets. In order to prevent a ghost, I made a slab for the hunter (which is also now flooded, but that shouldn't matter).

Now, a couple years later, I find that my militia commander has been unhappy. I check his thoughts and he "has been attacked by the dead". I imagine this means that a ghost has tried to kill him for some reason. This dwarf hardly had any contact with the hunter at all. In fact, nobody did because he was a new migrant, so I don't know why he would hold a grudge against my militia commander.

If this was in fact a ghost attack, apparently an unfilled, but claimed coffin overrides any slab you have made for the deceased. I may have to find a safe way to pump the room.

Or maybe it's related to fighting zombie animals? I get lots of those.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:31:55 pm by Lagslayer »

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An unreachable corpse, a reserved coffin, and a violent ghost
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »

IIRC it's the zombies.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:27:21 pm »

Just checked the wiki. Says it was a ghost. Guess I should have done that first  :P.

I would also like to add that I cannot find the ghost, and it does not appear on the unit list, though this might just mean it's in an unexplored part of the embark.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:29:22 pm by Lagslayer »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:38:39 am »

Just checked the wiki. Says it was a ghost. Guess I should have done that first  :P.

I would also like to add that I cannot find the ghost, and it does not appear on the unit list, though this might just mean it's in an unexplored part of the embark.

Can you still scroll to his corpse?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:01:12 am »

Seems the corpse is gone now, but he still has a coffin on reserve. Guess it was destroyed when the river froze.