Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Happy Fourth of July Everyone!  (Read 3084 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Fourth of July Everyone!
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 11:05:06 am »

Well, the people of America were awfully isolationist at the beginning of the war. Damned if we do (going against the will of the people!) damned if we don't (long time to start enforcing freedoms).

I stole my symbolism from Congresses ruling on the colors in the Great Seal, by the way. There aren't any official ones for the flag, as far as I know.

Also, I'd like to note that the amount of actual control that the US gov't has in Iraq is pretty minimal right now. We do EVERYTHING at the will of the local gubernment. And I'm not sure if anyone has ever or will ever control Afghanistan . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:50 am »

And I'm not sure if anyone has ever or will ever control Afghanistan . . .
I have my doubts that anything short of a post-scarcity global unification will ever even put a dent in Afghanistan's problems.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 03:22:32 pm »

I think Afghanistan is more likely to put a dent in post-scarcity global unification. How can you claim to be post-scarcity if you're hauling caviar and plasma TV's to your global citizens on mule trails?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »

The idea of post-scarcity global unification makes me smile.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 03:32:05 pm »

It makes me smile in that "Oh good, they stopped being utopian communists and have moved on to being utopian technocrats" way, only in horror I realize this is just an evolution of one failed carcass-strewn dogma into one that hasn't been blood-stained yet.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »

When it comes to post-scarcity, both Communism and Capitalism are pretty much meaningless, along with every other way of approaching economics. You could say you're a communist, but there's more than enough of everything for everyone so The Glorious Leader doesn't have to redistribute anything in order to dissolve the now non-existent boundaries between the proletariat and bourgeoisie. You could say you're a capitalist, but there's nothing that you can buy from or sell to anyone else in order to gain capital, as both you and they are already set for life.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »

Well, considering we are the longest lasting republic government in the past century, you gotta give us some credit.
The Republic of San Marino has the United states beat by a good millennium and a half.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]