Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten beasts and butchering  (Read 720 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Forgotten beasts and butchering
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »

I have noticed that some forgotten beasts made out of materials cannot be butchered. I have one made of green glass laying around and I would like to know if and how it is possible to somehow use it to manufacture green glass stuff.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beasts and butchering
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:20:34 pm »

Nope. Completely useless.

...If you have one of the display case mods, which add custom buildings that can use any item in constructing them, you could put the corpse on display as a trophy, but as corpses are valueless, that wouldn't be a particularly good idea. Random creatures made of non-meat substances are useless.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »

Common usage: garbage zone dump the corpse somewhere.  Display it in your dining hall.  It doesn't actually do anything, but it's fun to remember, "Ha, I killed THAT!"

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:36:34 pm »

I guess I'll just dump it in my dining hall and glare at it now and then. Thanks guys.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »

Alternatively: Hall of Monstrous History.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:30:30 pm »

I heard that you could melt down metal creatures.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

You heard wrong :P

You actually can melt them, but not for anything usable.  Drop the creature/corpse into magma and it'll melt, assuming it's not like iron or steel or something else magma safe.  You cannot smelt a corpse for bars.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:38:38 pm »

FB bodies are worth 1 value, same as common domestic animals, and if it's steel then it's steel, same material, artifacts get no damage multiplier.  An artifact FB Steel Sword would be little more than an expensive sword - probably not very expensive, made of body parts it would likely submit to the bone artifact bug and only have 1 decoration.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:40:39 pm »

Bone bug's fixed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:30:13 am »

I read the title as "Forgotten Beasts and Bandersnatching"

You can bet that I was surprised.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:45:40 am »

FB bodies are worth 1 value, same as common domestic animals, and if it's steel then it's steel, same material, artifacts get no damage multiplier.  An artifact FB Steel Sword would be little more than an expensive sword - probably not very expensive, made of body parts it would likely submit to the bone artifact bug and only have 1 decoration.

Let us dream a little, will you, Mr Technical Speaking?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:47:14 am »

That's MISS Technical Speaking to you!

Actually, that's Mistress.  *leather riding crop*