Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In the Absence of a Dungeon Master...  (Read 1248 times)

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In the Absence of a Dungeon Master...
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »

...please pull lever to clear animal traps of exotic vermin.
Can somebody explain where that lever is? :-\

Considering how nobles are currently in a state of purgatory and I can't get a dungeon master, there's no way for me to clear my animal traps when the trapper decides to get a lizard or toad, and I'm wasting wood making new ones.
An even better solution would be to have the presence of a dungeon master emulated without needing one to immigrate, because I'd also like to train these rhinoceroses I've caught. ;D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In the Absence of a Dungeon Master...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:54 pm »

Try forbidding all your food. Your hungry dwarves will eat them instead.
Now that I think about it, don't they eat them if they encounter the trap even when they're not hungry.

Otherwise, go into the raws and remove [PET_EXOTIC] from everything(replace it with [PET]).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:03 pm »

Are you not able to build a cage and then assign the vermin to the cage, freeing up the animal trap?

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:45 pm »

Actually, designating vermin to a cage seems to do the trick (I didn't think that was possible, but I'm glad to be proven wrong).
However, the untamed ones don't show up on the Animals status screen as "live x" either way, so I guess my next goal is to mod back in (functional) dungeon masters.
Considering I know next to nothing about modding, can anyone explain how to do this?
Removing "_EXOTIC" from the [PET_EXOTIC] tag didn't seem to work.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 01:46:25 am »

I believe you can mod in the dungeon master by doing something with the [APPOINTED_BY] or something-similar fields in the raws (this I have not done), but, upon getting one, they evidently still don't allow taming of PET_EXOTIC creatures.  Removing _EXOTIC from each creature, leaving only [PET], should work.  Did you change the raws in the save directory or in the main DF folder?  The ones in the main folder pertain to new world gens, while your data\save\region# will contain the raw files the are actually used in that game.  Are the creatures not listed at all when you try to add a task to your kennels with {m} to Tame Large Animal or whatever?

Teh_Havvers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:48:35 am »

I believe you can mod in the dungeon master by doing something with the [APPOINTED_BY] or something-similar fields in the raws (this I have not done), but, upon getting one, they evidently still don't allow taming of PET_EXOTIC creatures.  Removing _EXOTIC from each creature, leaving only [PET], should work.  Did you change the raws in the save directory or in the main DF folder?  The ones in the main folder pertain to new world gens, while your data\save\region# will contain the raw files the are actually used in that game.  Are the creatures not listed at all when you try to add a task to your kennels with {m} to Tame Large Animal or whatever?

Yeah, the trick is to go into entity_default, scroll down to your noble of choice and add something like:

[APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
or
[APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR]

Dunno if it requires genning a new world or not (I suspect it does, though).

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 03:11:10 am »

Ahh, I didn't know I had to modify the ones in the actual save folder for it to affect current worlds. Thanks for that, that would probably explain it. :)

IDidItForScience

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 12:06:59 pm »

This page has the directions for getting rid of the [PET_EXOTIC] nonsense. You just have to be doing it in the save raws if you want it to affect your current fortress. Also, make sure you reload your fort or it wont take effect.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dungeon_master
You not tough enough. You wimp!
Be tough! Like caveman!
Caveman smash mammoth with no face!
You die to big caveman.
You bring shame to cave.