Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elevator?  (Read 2573 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Elevator?
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »

This is mainly for use in adventure mode.  We lack proper movement across tiles, but I want a way to make selective travel up and down Z levels.  Primarily, I'd like to have a bustling city with a wide open well.  The well is a deep pit, that goes down, and down, and down until the light fades, and the darkness takes hold.  Right below the city, separated by naught but empty air, is the vile catacombs and demon spawn.

How do you transport an adventurer multiple Z levels without injury or creature parachutes?  Current idea is a 3x3 hollow tower to use as a watervator.  When you jump into liquid, do you fall to the bottom or can you float on top?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Elevator?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »

Not totally sure. I know yaks and other livestock seem to float in magma until they disintigrate, but I can't remember if it works with water...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »

Are the liquids different from fortress and adventure modes?  Most dwarves seem to swim at the top of multi-z-level water but i've never tried pumping water in on top of them or alter the water levels while they swim. 
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:28:54 pm »

Your adventurer will fall and die. I dodged down a deep pit some 20 levels deep and into a 3z pond. Blew to bits.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

It should be identical, yes.  The only difference is that in adventure, you manually control stuff.

NINJA: Dodging and moving are different.  You can "carefully move" into a nearby square.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:35:29 pm »

You float unless you swim down.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:53 pm »

Can you pull levers underwater in adventurer mode? You could have a series of levers, one on every z-level, that lowers the water level to below themselves when turned on and allows the water level back up to their level when turned off. That way, your adventurer would swim down as far as they could then pull a lever to bring the water level down to where they can breathe, and when moving up you'd swim up, get out of the water on the level above the surface, then move the surface up and repeat that process. It would be slow going, as you'd probably be able to move only a few levels at a time, but it should be engineerable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 11:22:33 pm »

If its a stair well then you have to use < and > but as in hold SHIFT and , or . thats for stair wells at least.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 08:40:42 am »

If you're going to an abandoned fort, make a Hydraulic Elevation and Lowering Platform (H.E.L.P.) that can be operated from within.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:11:42 am »

Water should work fine for going down; just have each level of the elevator be a retractable bridge with a fluid-triggering pressure plate at the end of a square chamber.

Code: [Select]

###
##%##
#+++#
#+++#
#+++#
#####

Where % = plate, + = bridge

The dwarf and water will fall down a level, flow into the pressure plate alcove and trigger the next fall after a short delay.  Even a long succession of 1 z-level falls shouldn't be harmful.  Could also modify it so the dwarf doesn't get trapped in an alcove by using metal bars.

Going up depends on how long the elevator is and how long a dwarf can float/swim for.

Alternatively - if a dwarf is trapped in an artifact cage, then encased in a block of obsidian or is caught in a cave-in, will he survive?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 09:47:59 am »

As for using a water-column for dampening (as it were) a downwards plummet, something fairly recently said comes to mind.  Apparently while falling through water does not add more "Z-levels of drop" accumulation for damage purposes, but neither does it cushion a fall.

i.e. a dwarf falling 10Z into water continues down an arbitrarily high water-column to get the same possibility of injuries (except, of course, by drowning) than 10Z onto floor.  A dwarf falling 2Z into that column gets 2Z, when hitting bottom.

This is totally without personal experience, I've probably remembered something wrongly (if not all of it), but you'd certainly have to have the 1Z-at-a-time such as postulated by orrey, rather than a deep water-filled shaft (with a submerged levers at the bottom to flush your dwarf out into a grate-floored drainage room before he or she drowns, and at least one other lever in that room to close the sluice and allow re-filling) which seems like it might be a suitably adventuresome Tomb Raider-esque entry method under 'normal' circumstances.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:07:03 am »

if you make a watervator that can be operated from withing, it should be possible. Assuming, of course, that levers can be pulled while underwater
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?