Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting metal bars for mood - Help?  (Read 533 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting metal bars for mood - Help?
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »

Okay guys, heres the situation. I have a reasonably successful butcher based fort coming on. I only brought one anvil because I dislike working with metal (HERETIC, CLEANSE THE ELF WITH MAGMA ETC) so I could only make one workshop. Since it was a butcher fort, everyone has been preoccupied caging turkey children (nearly 200 from the first season I think...) and I haven't gotten my metal industry up at all. Suddenly Urist McPaininTheArse decided to mood, being an armoursmith. I have no metal bars and no forge, so I have to get both before he goes crazy.

So far I've built a magma forge in the caldera of a volcano and he's claimed it. While I'm glad he has finally got somewhere to work, this makes it impossible for him to get his materials made... I really don't want to lose him to insanity so I'm willing to change reactions to get stuff working but I have no idea what to do. Can anyone explain what I should do? Caravans are probably not an option as the last dwarven one just left a season ago and I have no idea whether elves or humans exist in this world.

tl;dr   I need metal bars but have no way to get them from a forge or caravan. What do?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting metal bars for mood - Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:37 pm »

You don't need a forge to get metal bars anyway; those are done at a smelter or magma smelter, which don't require anvils to make.

Anyway, you've probably got some metal ore lying around someplace from digging out your fort. Just build a magma smelter in the caldera, have somebody activate the Furnace Operator labor, and run one of the "smelt ______ ore" jobs at the smelter. Smelters take a stone, the Architecture labor, and the Masonry labor to build.

If you don't have any metal ore mined out already, look around the edges of exposed cliffs or similar for exposed ores. There's usually something usable, and even if your armorsmith makes a crappy gold boot or something, you still get a legendary armorsmith out of the deal. Useful later.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting metal bars for mood - Help?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »

Looking for ores is your best bet, but don't forget about metal cages and bolts you may have lying around. If you're really desperate and don't mind cheating, the only way to modify a reaction without a world regen is to temporarily change an existing reaction in the data\save\region1\raw\objects\reaction_smelter.txt to produce free metal by erasing the [REAGENT] tags associated to the smelting reaction of the metal you want.