Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Eclipse Phase: D&D in Space!  (Read 7932 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase: D&D in Space!
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 09:04:01 am »

If people are interested to do this in a chat channel I know of an irc network where people who sometimes do things like this are.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:11 am »

Infrno.net is a pretty good online gaming host, with video chat and virtual tables.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:23 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/?kmiy2todznv
Thank you for this!
Also if anyone does want to play this I request playership.  Pm me to confirm.

I will totally roll up a Venusian named Nino. :)

You're quite welcome :)

I'd love to play with people, but alas, scheduling things and showing up does not typically end well for me xD
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:38 pm »

its actually not that simple.  it looks like a straightforward skill+stat system, but it isnt.  its an important distinction during character generation that starting skill level = stat level, and you're not adding the stat like a bonus.  This is of course complicated during resleeving.

then they tell you that 40-60 is a highly skilled or professional level, leaving about a even chance of failure on an average task.  What they dont tell you but expect you to read between the lines, is that you're expected to 1, use teamwork (from a muse or another PC); 2, have complimentary knowledge skills; 3, take your time; and 4, have equipment bonuses on just about every roll.

it isnt nearly as complicated as something like gurps, but it isnt the rules-light game it toutes itself to be.
I'm not sure I follow you. It does clearly say in the chargen area that your skill level starts out equal to the linked aptitude but the character sheet maintains a separation between morph bonus, purchased skill points and your aptitude so that it is easy to adjust when you change morphs. And really the only time you would have to change is if you change to a morph without a bonus to that aptitude, or with an overall aptitude penalty which is lower than the linked aptitude... right?

As for the skill levels, here is the chart.

Code: [Select]
00 - No exposure or familiarity, completely unskilled
10 - Very rudimentary knowledge
20 - Basic operator’s proficiency (driver’s license, gun permit, high school diploma)
30 - Hands-on experience, some professional training
40 - Basic professional certification (police driving, army rifle certified, college diploma)
50 - Experience from professional-level work, some advanced training
60 - Expert competence (competitive driver, marksman, PhD)
70 - Experience from expert-level work, has had unique innovations or insights
80 - Worthy of being a system-renowned authority on the subject
90 - Nobel/Olympic/grandmaster
99 - Pinnacle of current understanding and innovation

So yes, a 40% skill is a basic professional certification, but that represents a guy who has taken a certification course or college course in the subject. And even then you have a base 40% chance to perform an action. The book clearly lays out all of the possible ways to get bonuses however... like by using complementary skills, teamwork, or taking more time. There is an entire section on getting bonuses to skill tests. You get +10 for each person who helps, regardless of their personal skill (GM's discretion of course), you get a further +10 per minute of extra time you choose to take (or per +50% of the base time for task action tests).

So yes, you may only get 40% if you're trying to hack a computer terminal in 3 seconds (the base action unit of time) but if you take 3 minutes and you have 3 friends helping you (probably via a AR interface) you get a 60% bonus meaning you automatically succeed. +60% is the maximum bonus that may be applied, though. These aren't complicated numbers or even difficult to remember, and the book clearly spells them out. It's nowhere near as crunchy as some systems I've played.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]