Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funneling Caravan onto a chosen path?  (Read 1189 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Funneling Caravan onto a chosen path?
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »

In the current version, is there a way to make sure caravans enter on the side of the map that you want?  I'm envisioning a long, walled road that gets as close to the edge of the map as possible.  Would this work, or is it still just random where the caravans pop out?  I want to keep surface trade up as long as possible, but ambushes scaring off caravans gets harder and harder to prevent.  On a sidenote, is it still possible to have caravans show up in the caverns?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Funneling Caravan onto a chosen path?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »

Yes.

If there is a 3 tile wide path from your trade depot to the edge of the map, the caravan will spawn on a point on the map edge that has a 3 tile wide path to your trade depot.  You can see what points on the map edge connect to your trade depot by a 3 tile wide path by pressing 'D'.  This rule is in place to check if wagons can make it to your trade depot, and is still checked even though wagons aren't in the game at the moment.  If there is no 3 tile wide path, caravans will spawn on a random open edge tile.

Civilizations are sometimes limited to only appearing on certain edges.  If there is a river or other impassible barrier through your embark site, you may find that caravans will only appear on one side of it.

Diplomats, liaisons, and immigrants appear on random points on the map edge.  You can't control where they appear.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Funneling Caravan onto a chosen path?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:34:52 pm »

Diplomats, liaisons, and immigrants appear on random points on the map edge.  You can't control where they appear.

"Whew! We managed to close the steel titan and the bronze colossus there! They shouldn't be able to enter the area, and I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to go there out of their own free will."
Olith O'Diplomat, Human Diplomat has arrived!
"Hey, whats thi..."
Olith O'Diplomat has been struck down.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o