Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood/Artifact idea  (Read 814 times)

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
Strange Mood/Artifact idea
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »

I do understand this may have been suggested before, but I my search didn't provide me with an adequate answer.

When I first learned to play Dwarf Fortress through trial and error with the assistance of a tutorial, one of the articles in said tutorial described "Strange moods", but not clearly. I knew as much that when a Dwarf has one of these moods, he goes off to take all your hard-earned materials (Like your freshly smelted Steel bars, for early fortresses), but I was under the assumption that some Artifacts can also have Buffs and Debuffs, Powers and other modifiers (However a year since then on, I know otherwise.)

Now- Magic has long been debated about amongst the suggestion forums, some claiming it to be a waste of space and time, others that it would imbalance the game, some that it could expand the experience of Dwarf Fortress and many just don't give a crap if it were implemented or not. Alchemy on the other hand, is a planned (So I've heard) industry to be put into the game, which can offer its potential in my idea, as can Magic (If it were to happen.)

My idea is as simple as this. Modifiers that can be enchanted/mixed into the artifact, offering a random bonus (Or perhaps even curse) to an item with a chance of perhaps 5-10%.
"Urist McDruid has created (Name of item), an enchanted titanium sword!"
"This is an enchanted titanium sword. It is endorned with hanging bands of elf bone and spikes of goblin teeth. (Other random descriptions...)
...The sword appears to radiate immense power. (Strength buff)
...The sword has a holy aura surrounding its form. (Defense buff)
...The sword seems to cast darkness around it, sapping energy from all available light sources. (Curse, tiring out the user quicker)"

OR in the case of an alchemist, perhaps using only foodstuffs or other ingredients, they can create a recipe (That lasts permenantly, and can be created again, only by them) that allows the user to have buffs that last a limited time, perhaps half a season. Perhaps they can even modify existing finished goods, or other items such as ammunition...

"This is a stack of 20 modified steel bolts. According to Urist McAlchemist, "These bolts will combust into the flames of 10,000 enraged dragons." (The bolts will catch alight on contact with land or an individual, causing !!fun!!)

Now, Discuss.

Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Strange Mood/Artifact idea
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:30 am »

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood/Artifact idea
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:30:37 am »

Quote from: Toady
   (singing)
Little Mr Scamps is sleeping in his bowl, he's all rolled up but he's nice and warm. He's not scratching my thumb and he's not scratching my face, because he's sleeping in one warm place; the warm little bowl, the kitty bowl. Kitty kitty bowl, kitty bowl. (end singing) That's right.
Quote from: Rainseeker
   Bullet bowl?
Quote from: Toady
   Bullet bowl, bullet bowl. Kitty bowl? He's not even paying attention to me because he's trying to sleep; he's in his heated bowl.
Quote from: Capntastic
   In the future of Dwarf Fortress we'll all have heated bowls. This I foresee.
Quote from: Rainseeker
   You could put a bowl over magma.

And, lo, it has come to pass. Huzzah!

(kitty, kitty bowl)
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.