Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procedural diseases  (Read 612 times)

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Procedural diseases
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »

Given that each world has its own procedural FB's, which their own syndromes, why not diseases?

Diseases would be gained from open wounds, in place of rot, or from a plant (in each world, the plant has its own syndrome).
As the plant is procedural, it may have thorns, which would inflict a creature interacting with it the syndrome.
Extracting from the plant would give a fluid with syndrome.

They would be cured by visiting a doctor, who would then clean it, and possibly apply a special cure ("Urist McDoctor determines this Urist McDiseased needs plump helmet salve!").
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:15:48 pm by Barnox »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Prodecural diseases
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:47:32 pm »

I'm generally a proponent of two things - procedural content and good spelling. The idea itself I like. The title? Not so much.

Procedural diseases could work seamlessly with curses and whatnot, as well. It'd be fun to have diseases or curses that do... odd things. Such as pushing your musicality down into the nether regions, or making your horns combust - if you have them. If you don't, it makes them grow, then combust. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prodecural diseases
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »

Hmm, I guess it could all work using the secrets/curses framework.
Some have a percentage of spreading on contact, whilst others would spread on looking at someone (to simulate being airborne).

The title was a genuine mistake: I can spell, honest.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural diseases
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 06:16:00 pm »

I thought that it was planned to have them.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?