Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caged Hens, Nests & 1-way entrances/exits  (Read 1608 times)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caged Hens, Nests & 1-way entrances/exits
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 11:34:47 am »

Just put a menacing spike at the bottom to make sure.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 12:11:08 pm »

A single z-level drop doesn't seem to harm anything, it just stuns for a bit.  Any further than that will cause harm in increasing amounts. 

(single-level falls due to a cave-in don't count, due to the fact that the "dust" is basically tossed rocks of various sizes and will cause injuries on its own)
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »

Thx for the clarification, i'm currently playing a new fast minifortress to test some of the things posted here.

Making even a simple repeater was harder than i thought (for my current skill/experience), but i'm close to finish it.
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »

So you have the retractable bridge drop one z level to a meeting hall over the butcher.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 10:45:17 pm »

Nope, i made a lot of mistake and found a lot of problems.

I did the repeater and it worked.
I made the hatch idea but my room was too large (1x9 or something like that) and the offspring stood at 2-3 tiles from the mother), IA didn't make them stick close to the door (i saw that behavior before, i thought it was normal)
I thought poults couldn't trigger pressure plates but i was configuring the pressure plate wrong (it wasn't set to trigger for citizens, i didn't know that flag was counting tame animals too).
Anyways i tried the bridge-plate idea too but with the repeater instead of p. plates, it worked but, again, poults just stood 2-3 tiles from the mother, i used a bridge-floodgate-bridge configuration (one tick opens the bridge tiles only, next tick opens the floodgate only and repeat) instead of bridge x 3.

So, if anyone made something like this work, please post :)
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 11:21:27 pm »

Just wait until they are adults, use meeting zones, ???, PROFIT!!!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 08:35:19 am »

As Dsarker says you want to wait until they are adults. Butchering young is a waste of time anyway as the returns are low.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »

I just wanted to "set them free" in my fortress as soon as their born, to avoid them peck each other in the small breeding area.

It's a shame, doing tests take so looooooO0OoO0OoO0Oong.
I hope i can test this before i get impaled by goblins again, i'm neglecting defense in my last fortress.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

How do we drop the fullgrown birds, then? Does a single z level fall kill them, or will we still be able to slaughter them? Time for !!SCIENCE!!
A single z-level does no damage to anything, unless you fall into water/magma. In that case, the fall does drowning or heat damage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »

I just wanted to "set them free" in my fortress as soon as their born, to avoid them peck each other in the small breeding area.

I've not got much experience with raising animals since crowding was added. If offspring get mad at each other due to crowding and they always crowd around their mother do they not attack each other regardless of the breeding area size? If your breeding area is just two tiles including the chain you could try giving them more room like this:

#####
#...####
#◘§..... > to bridges / hatches / door
#...####
#####

Alternatively if the mother will stay within a single tile pasture you could put the bridges around a single tile pasture and have the offspring fall regularly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2]