Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Danger Room Mechanism quality?  (Read 1830 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger Room Mechanism quality?
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:09:13 am »

So I'm setting up my danger room. I know that the widely accepted method of doing this is to use no-quality training spears, and I'm good with that...my question is whether I should be using my masterwork mechanisms (ensuring more hits) or my no-quality mechanisms (making the traps easier to dodge(?))

I guess I'm just not really sure whether it's the *hit* from a spear that infers experience, or the *dodging* of a poorly constructed one...Or should I use a mixture of both to ensure some are good for hitting soldiers while others are easy to dodge?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room Mechanism quality?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:05 am »

Doesn't mechanism quality affect speed in upright spear traps? In that case you'd be better off with higher quality mechanisms.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:30:07 am »

Doesn't matter.

A high-quality (more accurate) mechanism will be harder to dodge and thus hit the soldier's armor, increasing armor skill.

A lower quality one will be easier to block, increasing shield user skill.

Actually, not sure they ever dodge traps. At least not from what I've seen. If they do, then lower quality mechanisms would help level that.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:33:21 am »

Doesn't matter.

A high-quality (more accurate) mechanism will be harder to dodge and thus hit the soldier's armor, increasing armor skill.

Actually, not sure they ever dodge traps. At least not from what I've seen. If they do, then lower quality mechanisms would help level that.

They does dodges traps, that's what them jumping around is. At least that's what I see my militia taking a run through one did  :D

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:28 am »

OH SNAP!

I just realized that the actual construction of an upright spear trap doesn't even use a mechanism, which I suppose means that the quality of the mechanisms used is irrelevant.

I'm dumb...I should have realized that before even posting this.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:57:39 am »

OH SNAP!

I just realized that the actual construction of an upright spear trap doesn't even use a mechanism, which I suppose means that the quality of the mechanisms used is irrelevant.

The linkage to the trigger does. I don't know if it affects anything, though, other than admiring the BEAUTY of the trap.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:59:46 am »

Doesn't matter.

They does dodges traps, that's what them jumping around is. At least that's what I see my militia taking a run through one did  :D

I think thats them sparring. If you got just the one guy in there doing individual combat drills he just stands there and endlessly gets hit or blocks it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:01:35 am »

I think thats them sparring. If you got just the one guy in there doing individual combat drills he just stands there and endlessly gets hit or blocks it.

Nope, used move command to put them in the danger room, instead of using barrack assignment, so they're not sparring. Saw the combat report and there was plenty of -Jump away from- and similar.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:02:52 am »

OH SNAP!

The linkage to the trigger does. I don't know if it affects anything, though, other than admiring the BEAUTY of the trap.

Yeah...we don't need beautiful traps...

But I guess that this means I can use up all the crappy mechanisms in the danger room, since I used up most of my masterwork ones on the vast field of traps in the entryway. Spiked balls, serrated blades, and menacing spikes, Oh My!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:06:11 am »

Yeah...we don't need beautiful traps...

But I guess that this means I can use up all the crappy mechanisms in the danger room, since I used up most of my masterwork ones on the vast field of traps in the entryway. Spiked balls, serrated blades, and menacing spikes, Oh My!

Well, having them pretty would make the poor bugger getting ground up be at least happy they saw something shiny between being poked in the nuts and tripping over  :D