Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Embark Site  (Read 1116 times)

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
Odd Embark Site
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:21:12 am »

Normally I would have taken a picture of it, but I didn't for some god forsaken reason.

So I embarked out into a Sinister Forest close to the Polar cap (I believe it may have been a Taiga). Went through "Strike the Earth!" and the screen flashed to show me "Raw Adamantium! Praise the miners!". I had a laugh and shrugged it off. I escaped the message to see a landscape that had amazing features. Somehow, Adamantium collumns had reached all the way to the top Z level (The Sky, at +14), and for some reason what appeared to be a almost 'Cavern' layer was forced up to ground level. Various sections of the ground were missing, exposing this cavern layer. The river was still frozen, however the 'Cavern' was still flowing perfectly.

I know it sounds fairly choppy and doesn't make much sense, I should have takes a screenshot.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a bug or a World Gen or Embark error?
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Embark Site
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:26:10 am »

Sounds like a world gen error, I've seen it spoken of often enough on here.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:39:17 am »

Sounds similar to an embark somebody (I wish I could remember, he still has the file) had a while ago, a pillar of cotton candy reaching up to the sky, no caverns though. But yeah, generator error. Personally I would love to get a hold of the seed or the file you used to get it.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:47:26 am »

Sounds similar to an embark somebody (I wish I could remember, he still has the file) had a while ago, a pillar of cotton candy reaching up to the sky, no caverns though. But yeah, generator error. Personally I would love to get a hold of the seed or the file you used to get it.

All attempts I've seen to replicate the error through worldgen doesn't works, it's apparently some temp memory error that crops up either from military assignment or from generating too many worlds in a row. Would need to get the file itself  :D

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 05:54:00 am »

...and knowing is half the battle.  :P
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:47:27 am »

No particular seed. From memory it was a Large Region, though.
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:32:34 am »

What was fps on that embark? Typically they are usually in the sub 10fps at the start. Also, do you have a save? It would be awesome to have that embark just for fun.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:22 am »

What was fps on that embark? Typically they are usually in the sub 10fps at the start. Also, do you have a save? It would be awesome to have that embark just for fun.

Totally agree, it'd be awesome to have a siege be forced to come through the natural chokepoints inside the caverns and then get picked off by marksdwarf in blindloops and small squads designed to take down one or two before moving off and smashing into them again after they restock. After a number of broken goblin raids, invest in securing a variety of knives and wooden bucklers to seriously allow a speedy and swift demise for the enemy.