Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A quick solution to the "on break" function  (Read 1400 times)

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A quick solution to the "on break" function
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:37:26 am »

I don`t know about you guys, but I have grown tired of that "on break" funtion. My dwarved do nothing but eat, drink and sleep. no working what so ever. i have missed valuable time to this marvelous function, until I figured out something.

I quicly shut down all workshops to the dwarves on break, so that there is nothing they have to do. then i waited 2-3 minutes. and then they said they had "no job" and VOILA! They are all working again now. so, if any of you guys are victim to this function too often, give this a try. :)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: A quick solution to the "on break" function
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:39:28 am »

Sounds like they went off-break normally and you just managed to waste some time. I've never had that much issues with them going on breaks, unless it's some oddity in more recent version.

I believe that drafting them into military will force them to 'unbreak', however I haven't tested that and only heard of it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:41:48 am »

Uh, 2~3 minutes IS the amount of time they need to get off break regardless anyway. In 40d, the quick fix was to draft them into the military and undraft them again. Not sure if that still works in DF2010.

Going on break is dictated by their personalities - different dwarves demand a holiday after different amounts of constant labour. Not sure if a dwarf who has periodic idle time will ever go on break.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:04 am »

Yeah, there's nothing you can do about it really, just deal with it and have larger workforces to make sure things get done in a reasonable amount of time.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:06:18 am »

Yeah, there's nothing you can do about it really, just deal with it and have larger workforces to make sure things get done in a reasonable amount of time.

This, this' what I do. Have two or three jobbers per workshop that have such job, so they rotates working constantly. Unless you're willing to be selective about dwarves willing to do work faster from personality, or need very specialized dwarves ( such as armor and weapon smithes, in metal-scare maps ).

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:07:54 am »

At least when they're on break, they aren't partying.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:43:06 am »

Party is easy to break up, just free the room from microline table they are partying around and designate new meeting hall from next table on the row. Lot of free workforce.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:07 am »

Party is easy to break up, just free the room from microline table they are partying around and designate new meeting hall from next table on the row. Lot of free workforce.
You can re-designate from the same table. The dwarves don't seem to mind.
Best solution: Use the "i" zones for meeting rooms, not furniture. I haven't had a party in my last dozen+ fortresses.

thedryness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »

Best solution: Use the "i" zones for meeting rooms, not furniture. I haven't had a party in my last dozen+ fortresses.

damn, i never realized this. my forts are always FULL of parties because i always designate with the tables and because i usually make statue gardens out of my statues (without even really knowing why i should make them or what they are for...)

but then again, a fort with no parties would seem pretty bleak. i like to know my dwarves are happy and not about to tantrum spiral themselves out of existence.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »

Yeah, On Break is its own "job" that Dwarves do. Shutting down the Workshops does nothing, because the On Break "job" has nothing to do with them. 2-3 minutes is what they're On Break for anyway.

Also, i tried in an earlier DF2010 version, and drafting them won't get rid of On Break anymore. Only works back in 40d (unless Toady put it back in for some reason, but i haven't tested it recently).
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

The last time I tried the draft/undraft trick, the offending dwarf simply went back to being On Break after being undrafted.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 01:58:21 am »

But is it still counted as Legendary dining hall?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 02:03:07 am »

Yeah.  You can still create a room from the table, make it a dining room but dont flag it as a meeting hall.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:05:25 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.