Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird behavior with an fractured dwarf  (Read 1017 times)

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird behavior with an fractured dwarf
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »

I had a dwarf with a fractured foot that didn't move.
I have no clue why, but he was receiving no water or food, and wasn't moved to the hospital.
No one was doing nothing, he was left to die for ONE foot (left one), i tried to set up a hospital, food, drink, a bed, everything close to him but, he just stood there and still no one was helping him.
Right now, he is Starving, Dehydrated, Drowsy and Miserable BUT walking!!!
No, his fracture didn't heal or fixed. It seems he is complying with the burrow restriction i set for all my citizens in my last siege.

Can anyone explain this behavior? or is it a bug?
I'm still new and i don't fully understand how the hospital works (2nd time i made one), but this doesn't make any sense :P
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Weird behavior with an fractured dwarf
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:49:01 pm »

Until they get diagnosed, they usually try to carry on doing whatever they need to. The same if there is no hospital set up.

Dwarves don't usually bother helping others, so what I found works is setting a dwarf to only recovering wounded, set his burrow around the wounded dwarf, and hoping it works.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:17:11 am »

Check your burrows and check to make sure you have a hospital to take him to.  Also couldn't hurt to make sure you didn't accidently disable health care jobs for feeding and recovering on your dwarves as well.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »

Hospital care and medicine professions is one of these jobs where personality is very important. Dabbling diagnostican with great drive to help other will save more lifes that legendary egoistical SOB. And yes, disable other jobs, they should specialize anyways.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »

I got the same problem in the 2nd siege (this time were 2 dwarves), I always removed the burrow restriction as soon as each siege ended (i used my military to kill the buggers, that's why i got a few injured dwarves)
I had specialized doctors, i disabled every other job for them (not experienced tho, except the diagnostician and a wound dresser), i didn't check the personalities.
My hospitals had enough beds, tables, and supplies (it didn't have traction benches tho)
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".