Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have to say...  (Read 1009 times)

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have to say...
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:46:32 am »

...that I find myself underwhelmed with the reading provided by Legends mode.

I've never really bothered to take a proper look at it before now, and don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that all this stuff is tracked, but when I started reading the legends of the world that I had generated I expected epic exploits of dragons and kings, the slaying of terrible beasts and the founding of great citadels.

So when I opened up the legends of one of the mountain halls, I was not expecting:

"Tradedlashes was a mountain halls.

In 26, The Dipped Lancer of The New Clasps founded Tradedlashes.

In the late winter of 35, the wolf Istbar Stylesflooded devoured a turkey hen of The Dipped Lancer in Tradedlashes.

In the late winter of 35, the wolf Istbar Stylesflooded devoured a gander of The Dipped Lancer in Tradedlashes.

In the late winter of 35, the wolf Istbar Stylesflooded devoured a rooster of The Dipped Lancer in Tradedlashes."

And so on...

The stuff of legend just isn't what it used to be!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: I have to say...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:07:37 am »

Spoiler: DF Talk quote (click to show/hide)

By the way, if you are willing to spend time digging you can find some amazing stories in legends waiting to be discovered. I remember a story of Night Freak who married/converted some village girl and a couple of years later his father( another Night Creature) married/converted this girl's mother. I'm sure that could be a nice plot for romantic comedy.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:18:39 am by Jiharo »
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:10:55 am »

Yeah I've read that all before... I'm not actually complaining, I just found it amusing that in this fantasy world where ettins and hydras roam free, a wolf eating some geese went down in history.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:15:36 am by iEpinephrine »
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:37:41 am »

I know what you mean and ideally it would condense similar events into one or two reports that could perhaps be expanded. Then again I know full well that if a wolf attacked anything in my home town the local papers would be all over it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:59:47 am »

That's pretty much what I'd expect from local histories :D

I've heard of a utility or two that helps to check out legend mode easier and connect things together faster.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:15 am »

I know what you mean and ideally it would condense similar events into one or two reports that could perhaps be expanded. Then again I know full well that if a wolf attacked anything in my home town the local papers would be all over it.

True in most smaller towns, villages and why not even small cities? Heck, if someone got killed by a wolf in the entirety of Finland, it may even get into the papers, as wolves haven't (provenly) killed anyone in over one hundred years here :P

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:41:59 am »

Oliolli: I didn't think there were any accounts of wolves killing people.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:49:54 am »

Possibly. Even so, wolves are often seen as more dangerous than traffic...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:23 am »

It looks like I was mislead into thinking that wolf attacks were just myths spread by those who keep animals. Still they apparently only rarely attack. List of fatal wolf attacks.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09:23 am »

Yeah I've read that all before... I'm not actually complaining, I just found it amusing that in this fantasy world where ettins and hydras roam free, a wolf eating some geese went down in history.
Oh, you just know the engravers were all over the "slaying of the hen".
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

This is Uduk the Henslayer the kitten. It has thick fur and sharp claws. Beware its mighty jaws !