Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with alot of ice?  (Read 1758 times)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
What to do with alot of ice?
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »

I embarked on a very Northern area and of course there is alot of ice, the only thing I've done with the ice is build a couple of workshops with ice, but that's it, what else should I do? Now I know you guys will say make an ice castle, I have a question related to that, when you build the walls for a castle, etc, let's say I want it to be high, how do I build another wall on the wall?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with alot of ice?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »

Nothing special about it, you just need a way to get your dwarves up to that second level and they can be told to build on top of any other walls that they can reach.  If you have up or up/down stairs on the first floor they can build down or up/down stairs above.  Either use the "permanent" castle stairs or temp scaffolding

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »

So long as its cold you can use the ice for building material. Once ice is constructed into something it will never deconstruct unless there is a cave-in, meaning you can build an ice castle on the surface of a glacier and then flood it with lava. The lava will melt "natural" ice and turn it into water, but constructed walls and floors are perfectly safe, even if they're made out of ice.

You could even build an ice farm to produce unlimited amounts of ice for surface construction.

If the ice is hauled underground too deep it will melt.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:22 pm »

If ice can be used as a raw stone material, then transforming the ice boulders into ice blocks, and building the higher valued ice block floors and walls should abrogate the "take boulders underground and they melt" issue, right?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »

I've also experienced embarking in a glacier, and ice boulders don't necessarily melt underground. Even in the stone layer. Even sitting next to my cistern.

Which, by the way. If you don't have any other water source, I highly highly recommend melting some of that ice via cave-in.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »

Do you have temperature turned on?

In my experience with glaciers there are two different temperatures for underground. In the ice layer the temperature is cold enough for ice to remain as ice. But once you get into the stone layer, below the ice, its warm enough that the ice chunks will melt. They will not melt instantly, but if left there they will melt and turn into puddles of water. Its not 1/7 water, its more like a contaminant water.

Also if you have no underground source of water you can generate infinite water by repeatedly melting and thawing ice using magma. It only takes 1/7 water to make a solid tile of ice, but a solid tile of ice will always melt into 7/7 water.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »

It only takes 1/7 water to make a solid tile of ice, but a solid tile of ice will always melt into 7/7 water.
I think that's 2/7. 1/7 makes an ice floor.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:11 pm »

Ice boulders have always melted into 1/7 water for me. Of course, the time it takes to melt means that first 1/7 usually evaporates before the next 1/7 worth of ice melts.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"