Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Layouts  (Read 18051 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Layouts
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:50 am »

This are three design I found on my pc.
I never really go to use them but I might do it someday...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
they were all made up by someone else and modified by me.
EDIT: 2nd is the modified version of the 1st one. I don't like diagonal hallways/doors
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:45:30 am by Dutchling »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:30 am »

I don't have any screenshots handy. But most of my forts follow these basic principles.

I either make a 3x3 stair down to the caverns with my entrance branching off of that. Or I just bore straight into a mountain side if theres one with a 3x wide coridoor. This entrance usually has one turn in it to make a blind corner in it for a place to chain animals and/or fire balistae down. With a grand entrance hall with pillars of natural stone lining the procession to my main door. Inside that is a 5x10 wide corridor that then links into the fort proper. Which has a basic layout of 3 wide coridoors linking between 5x5 junctions. With 1x wide coridoors branching off it leading to blocks of 6 5x5 rooms for workshops. With that same area they take up combined for a store room.

Those basic principles I find allow for high population and easy flow of traffic to wherever it needs in my forts. Plus makes for efficient use of space. But makes it easy for mass expansion also.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:06:15 am by Lexx »

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:46 am »

I've started paying attention to layout and stuff because I often run out of anything else to do.

No screenshots atm. The first entrance to my fort is a courtyard with four towers around it, full of fortifications for when I actually figure out how to get marksdwarves working. They're maybe five or six z-levels high and 10x10 squares. They surround a square courtyard (still under construction) and are connected by corridors that have more walls on top of them with fortifications, sort of a battlement effect. All in all, the entire area around and within the courtyard can be covered by crossbow fire.

Then the fort heads into the mountain side (the two rear towers are partially built into the mountain) and there's a zig-zagging 3-wide hallway leading in, with two spots where marksdwarves can fire down paths that enemies have to come along (there's access tunnels leading from the barracks..es). It leads into my entrance hall, which is a large t-shape with the "cross bar" at the far end from the entrance. The entrance hall is about 4 z levels high; more access tunnels from the towers allow marksdwarves to cover it as well, and it has doors leading off to the hospital, trade depot/finished goods vault, and barracks. At the rear are a series of rising platforms with the coffins of the first dwarves to die in the fort. More coffins are arranged at the edges. At the rear, one side leads to the Fortress Guard's quarters (not that they do anything), the jail, and a prisoner pit to dump caged goblins into, once I can figure out how to get them dumped without escaping from the dwarf that uncages them. From the other end, a short hall leads to large suites belonging to the 7 founders plus the first two migrant waves.

Down below I made a several-level-high hall for the workshops, a 5-level high dining hall, a center chamber leading off to those and to the mayor's and bookkeeper's offices, and then there are 2-z high hallways leading to more housing for dwarves. A "house" is a 2-level apartment. The upper level has windows overlooking the "streets." Every dwarf gets a bedroom and, downstairs, an office.

Farming is just in a crappy walled-off section of the first cave level. My well is also there. A giant toad FB is lurking around there and i was afraid it would come up through my well, but no problems yet there.

Then at the very bottom there's the forges and adamantine mines.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 11:03:52 am »

why don't you post screenshots? uploading them is almost no effort

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Lavis, the Mountain Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:39 am »

here http://postimage.org/image/xx756n8/

Here is another. This one will hurt your eyes!  http://postimage.org/image/2ttrcrsec/

and another http://postimage.org/image/j3p4c1yc/

and another one, at the moment of defeat http://postimage.org/image/2p93rw0h0/

and another one which I abandoned due boring design (main floor) http://postimage.org/image/2pe5p06sk/

There is so much blood... ogod...

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:30 am »

This are three design I found on my pc.
I never really go to use them but I might do it someday...
they were all made up by someone else and modified by me.
EDIT: 2nd is the modified version of the 1st one. I don't like diagonal hallways/doors

Do you have a larger picture of the third one? I really like that one.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:48 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bedroom_design If you're interested in other bedroom designs too. I recall seeing the one you quoted there at one time, the thread in the article most likely will have it.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 11:53:55 am »

why don't you post screenshots? uploading them is almost no effort

I was on a PC without Df on it. Plus I'm currently between active forts. I'll update my post with a pic or two when I've another established.

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bedroom_design If you're interested in other bedroom designs too. I recall seeing the one you quoted there at one time, the thread in the article most likely will have it.

I really should read that wiki more instead of just trying to figure stuff out on my own :P

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 08:48:07 pm »

I always make "temporary" layouts, just until I get things stable, planning on reorganizing things better later. Never happens.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »

Everybody keeps such tidy, organized layouts. Maybe the others are ashamed. Well, here's the fortress I'm playing around with currently, "Cleftmountain." It's a little more organic.

It's organized around a central spiral ramp. This is the first level underground. Farms, barracks, butcher, my soldiers' rooms (some of them) and the captain of the guard's place. Danger room in the SE corner.

The next level down. Kitchen, hospital, indoor pasture, nests, ore and coal stockpiles, and my soon-to-be-defunct well. I hope there's water in the caverns soon!

One more level down. Trade depot, kennel, furniture and goods stockpiles, tanner, bone carvers. Down to the SE is where I found some coal.

Fine dwarven dining. Also, the cistern for my terrible well.

Some bedrooms. To the far west are my mayor's house, chief medical dwarf, and I think my former militia commander's room – somebody else grabbed it after he died.

Anyway, it goes down about 15 more levels, just past the first cavern, and a couple levels above-ground... I may upload it to the map archive once it's at the 10 or 15 year mark.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 11:02:16 pm »

I plan on building a very special fortress >> it will have several layers devoted to various activities :3 but basically it's going to be a disk or windmill fortress ^^

above and below the primary access to the tunnels will be special "magma locks" (that girlinhat helped me design I might add! :D) that can be thrown to lock down those segments of the fortress... obviously there'll be SEVERAL layers of them, the idea being a constant slow pumping of water into them to allow for quick obsidianning :P anyway... the point being that the fortress will have a central stairwell that goes straight through the caverns, and special "access" tunnels to the caverns themselves. Above and BELOW said caverns are 2 z-layers devoted SPECIFICALLY to security and keeping shit out of the primary fortress :3 basically trap-mazes of doom with magma-locks for extra security and barracks/training areas for squads of dwarves around the central stair case >>

stockpiles will be scattered about, but generally "made goods" stockpiles will be at the very top of the fortress, around the depot, food will be below the primary dining hall. Farming will be a layer near the top, under the trade depot. the entire thing will be muddied (the farming section will technically take up TWO layers, one for resevoirs to dump water down onto the ground, and one to be that grounf for plots and pastures... The farm plots themselves will be resevoir dumped, while the pastures (taking up MUCH more space than the farm plots... and will be irrigated with mud by the simpler method of dumping water into "pits" designated by a latice of walkways ABOVE the pastures). Above it will be the tade depot and tradeable stockpiles. Above those will be the primary defensive layer and surface access.

Below the farms will be the primary industry area, with areas provided for eventual expansion of magma industry (eg: resevoir areas to pump magma into). About 3-5 layers devoted to that. This also includes the MAJOR stockpiles (With stairs from their industry areas leading up and down between the stockpiles between each workshop layer) and the offices for officials as well.

Then the dining hall area, which will be EPICLY massive. Also includes the food stockpiles and the kitchens. Has stairwells leading directly to the stockpiles for spare barrels as well as to the farming areas. Finally, it includes the LEVER rooms... these rooms will all be specifically marked to the best of my ability, each with their own levers, and it's JUST off the primary area. But the main point of these rooms is to provide quick and easy access to crazy shit >> Each row of devices will be marked, for example, with an obsidian floor tile on either end. So that I can tell those are for the military magma locks several floors away. Another might be next to an upright spike to represent it's for upright spike traps and repeat pulling. Another by a bit of bridge to show what it's for and so on and so forth.

Below those will be two SEPARATED areas. One will be the refuse piles, the other will be the hospital area. Obviously there'll be no connections between them except for the main stairwell.

Below these will be the primary housing complexes, designed for ULTRA efficiency there will be 4-6 of these. This will also include the NOBLE housing orbiting the central housing because let's face it. The noble killing devices I'll be using need to be out of the way >:(

Below housing will be the jail area.

Below the jail area, will be the major water reservoir. This is CRITICAL. There will be four major wells on EACH of the above levels, all going RIGHT down through the whole fortress >> These 4 well "stacks" have wells on each layer, one above the other above the other all until it reaches the primary water resevoir which is fed by a surface river right down :D and I hope to make it a water fall for entertainment of my dwarves who will love the mist :3 this resevoir will be allowed to "bleed" into a cavern through simple water pressure :3 through fortifications of course ^^

Finally, at the very most bottom, will be the graveyard :P and it will be EPIC in scope >:D

Now, I fully anticipate to run into cavern layers between each part of this, so there WILL be stand ins a various points, but this is the final lay out of the fortress :3
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:30:50 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 03:07:32 am »

Is there a .csv of bbucsis' circular layout? That is seriously awesome, yet I look at it and weep for trying to make it myself.

I haven't opened up DF in a while, but I remember my silliest layout was my "no room digging" challenge fort - I kind of had to wall in rooms wherever I could fit them. I really should do another challenge at some stage, it makes the game both more amusing and more frustrating than the carefully planned multiple-spiral-ramps layout I tend to use... or overuse, as it may be.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 03:50:06 am »

I really should read that wiki more instead of just trying to figure stuff out on my own :P
You can just zoom the pic in with paint and turn the grid on. That way each pixel/box is one tile in df
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:34:55 am by Dutchling »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 07:45:18 am »

I'd like to make a giant fortress on single z level and have no plan -  just expand organically
Pages: 1 [2]