Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to tame a large animal?  (Read 653 times)

bheilig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to tame a large animal?
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:24:37 pm »

Just started playing with the newest version, I can't figure out how taming large animals is supposed to work. When I hit 'm', I never see anything in the list. I have built cages full of trapped wild animals, I have stockpiled cages full of trapped wild animals. Deer, Unicorns, Foxes, Badgers, Moose Persons, and probably a few others, to date, but they simply don't appear in the list. Are none of these tameable? Is taming disabled now until I get the Dungeon Master? Thanks for any advice!

Bret

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to tame a large animal?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:25 pm »

Most of those creatures are exotic animals, and so can't be tamed until the Dungeon Master shows up. Due to a bug, the Dungeon Master never shows up. Therefore, those creatures cannot be tamed. Most people edit their raw files such that all instances of [PET_EXOTIC] are replaced by [PET] to work around the bug. There's a program, appropriately called NoExotics, which does this for you.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:25:39 am »

You don't need to build the cages, it just need to be in closeby stockpile ( for ease ). Then you need to change PET_EXOTIC in your save raw to just PET. Dungeon master's bugged so they never shows up, and exotics don't breed on their own either.

Changing PET_EXOTIC to PET don't need a regen, just close down DF, find your save raw ( /data/save/region1/raw/ for region 1 example ) and use notepad's replace function on each animal raws.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:21 am »

Make sure to not make the door to the kennel nonpasable for pets. i've had a tamer doing nothing for years because the dog was waiting in front of the door >.>