Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Err... Semi Molten Rock cavern?  (Read 1100 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Err... Semi Molten Rock cavern?
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:24:57 am »

I don't think this is normal. I found a CAVERN, not the clown factory, when digging down through adamantine. It is made entirely of semi-molten rock.

It's also like, 50 z levels deep.

I'm going to explore it for dwarven science. Chance of being infested with clowns: probable (there was a cave in and the screams of joy and happiness message at embark).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Err... Semi Molten Rock cavern?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:53:57 am »

Does your embarks have any other bizarre feature? That's definitely not normal  :o

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:01:35 am »

Hrm, yeah, the first cavern has grass on its floors, which was kinda weird. Still says inside/dark/subterranean and is growing underground plants, though.

So, here's what the map basically looks like:

- surface with lots of height variance
- first cavern
- magma sea
- second cavern (one pictured)
- presumably a third cavern (there's room for one and I don't dare dig into it just yet)

It's a 6x6 embark with some rather extreme height variance. I chose it specifically so I could have a very large cliff where the river cuts through the mountain. I also set the game to only give me 1 cavern during world gen, so I'm guessing it added the other two by mistake.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:03:33 am by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:45 am »

You dug THROUGH the MAGMA SEA?

The grass' a known bug, I believe, but a cavern under magma sea? Sounds like bugged embark to me.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:44:24 am »

Well..perhaps not through it? When I play, I set my levels between layers really high, and I have a volcano that busted out about 75 levels down, filling up the entire first cavern. There were spots, though.. where I could dig around it all, and below that it was fine for the next two caverns.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:46:44 am »

I had a similar bug a while ago where I had candy in the second cavern. I dug through and got the circus slicing my dwarves to itty bitty pieces.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:57:24 am »

Out of interest did you up the volcanism in world gen?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:43 am »

Out of interest did you up the volcanism in world gen?
Nope. Most things were default.