Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How long did it take you to understand how to play DF?  (Read 2632 times)

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
Re: How long did it take you to understand how to play DF?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 09:57:12 am »

I looked at the wiki a lot so it only took me a few day to understand how to play.

Now how to play well?  I don't think I'll ever be able to say I've stopped learning more about that.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »

My two best friends IRL (one of whom I got engaged to about six months later!) played before me, and they were right there when I started my first fort, which I did after already obsessively reading a huge portion of the 40d wiki. It went fairly well, except for the part where fire snakes crawled out of the volcano and killed everything about five minutes in. I actually re-embarked on the same location after re-generating the world (I have a favorite seed I like to use in all games - take a look at my username, it's not hard to guess) two or three times until I was able to contain the fire snake infestation. It all went pretty smoothly after that. Then DF2010 came out and totally screwed up the military for months, haha, and I had to actually get a serious metal industry going for the first time ever (those of you who were around in 40d will remember that naked wrestlers were absurdly, brokenly overpowered).

I very quickly eclipsed my two dearly beloved friends in knowledge and wisdom  :P It turns out all my protohusband was ever really interested in was in tearing off the limbs of elf children...  ???
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 11:52:44 pm »

It either took me 6 minutes 13 seconds to understand DF or I still don't understand it one bit.  Could be both if I am honest...
Pages: 1 2 [3]